From:
Imke Brech <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Imke Brech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:12:41 -0700

Hello everybody,

on 07/12/04 I posted a question regarding GF traveling in Colorado. Following are the very helpful answers of listmates and here are some personal experiences.

We were camping and I packed a lot of GF food for the children.

We also stayed in Hotels (e.g. Holiday Inn, Breakfast for Kids is free and they were able to eat Yoplait Yoghurt, fruit, eggs..., and some others). We brought  GF cereals and bread with us and used their Philadelphia and Jam.

Right at the eastern exit / entrance of Rocky Mountain N. P. in Estes Park we found a small very helpful little natural food store with a GF selection "Buckwheat 'n More" 870 Moraine Ave, Estes Park, CO. - it is on Hwy 36.

Certainly my 3 & 6 year olds enjoyed quite a bit of Mc Donalds along the way and we also had a very pleasant experience in Golden at the "Outback Steakhouse" (right beside the Holiday Inn), the children loved especially the GF brownie & icecream desert. I am not sure if they ever ate that fast... :-).

Thanks again for all the good advice and help

Imke
(mother of two GF Kids ages 3 & 6)

 I don't live in Colorado, but recently posted a similar question and this is the summary of responses I received. I also will be posting a response re: Breckenridge within the next day or two.  Have a nice trip. Kim.

Colorado:If you swing down to Colorado Springs, we have a GF bakery that is awesome! (You can stock up on loaves of bread, crackers, cookies, pies, etc.) It is Outside the Breadbox (on your way to visit places like Pikes Peak or Garden of the Gods - worthwhile stops!). http://www.outsidethebreadbox.com     Make sure you look over the website, check their hours, and if you have specific foods that you want, order the day before you come down.

There are quite a few choices in Denver to eat out. One of our favorites is the Hacienda Colorado, which is close to the Tech Ctr. & off I-25. Their corn tortillas/chips are GF. There is also a PF Changs at the Park Meadows Mall, near the Tech Ctr. Vesta's Dipping Grill (downtown) is great. Also, if you like sushi, Sushi Den (Florida & Pearl) is the absolute best. They do not have a GF soy sauce, but the fish is superb. And in Cherry Creek, the Fourth Story restaurant was very knowledgeable and accommodative, and great ambiance too (above the infamous Tattered Cover Bookstore).

There are also a few Whole Foods around (Cherry Creek area and Highlands Ranch). Or Wild Oats is great for shopping too. For stores there are 3 I use - Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods and Wild Oats. All have GF selections. I actually shop mostly in King Soopers, the standard store and find most of what I need there. Only for cereal, pasta, crackers and the like do I use the other stores.

 For restaurants - Maggianos is great and will work with you on most anything. They always have rice pasta. (this must be just this location, because the "corporate line" is that they will NOT accommodate gluten free. I have eaten there several times in Atlanta and gotten sick and even found gluten pasta in my meal.)

Chipotle (Mexican Quick Serve) all is OK other than the flour tortillas last I checked. Noodles and Company (Quick Serve Noodles dishes) has a few things that work and has a menu card that lists ingredients.

Imke,
I live in Grand Junction (Western Slope).  We shop at Vitamin Cottage here and I know that they have other places in Colorado.  Their website is www.vitamincottage.com .  Also, Outback Steakhouse, Bennigans and Texas Roadhouse all have GF menus.  The towns you mentioned are all really small.  Not sure if they would have accomodations for GF.  BUT, you will be assured to see beautiful scenery and many, many things to do!          Rebekah

Hi,

I am also planning a 2-week vacation to Colorado, coming from San Antonio,
and am visiting many of the same areas that you intend to visit.  In my
family it is the middle son (age 10) and me that are celiac.  Our plan is to
mostly stay in suites and hotels (Marriot Residence Inn) that have either a
refrigerator and microwave or a full kitchen.  We plan to choose what we can
for breakfasts at the hotels that offer this meal, as well as take along our
own GF cereal.  We just take the box of cereal to the dining room, then help
ourselves to juice, milk, fruit and yogurt.  For lunch, we picnic with a
well-stocked cooler that we replenish as needed.  We know of health food
stores and Whole Foods in Albuquerque and Colorado Springs, as well as a
wholesale GF bakery in the Springs.  I pack GF bread, corn tortillas, rice
cakes, GF crackers, GF cookies, GF snacks, PB&J, deli meats and cheese,
small jar of mayo, GF salad dressing, fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, carrot
sticks or other easy veggies, occassinally some hard cooked eggs, yogurt,
juice, milk, and paper goods.  For dinner, we either find a suitable place
to eat or cook in the room (which is a great idea to save money and patience
when traveling with children!).  Easy meals are 1) GF spaghetti and sauce
with a bag of salad, 2) pan fried pork chops, microwaved baked potatoes and
frozen veggies, 3) GF hot dogs wrapped in corn tortillas, frozen fries
(Ore-Ida are supposed to be GF but I have not tried them) and jarred
applesauce, 4) sauteed chicken breasts with steamed rice and cut-up veggies,
etc. Pack a small bottle of oil and salt and pepper for the cooking.

Melanie
Alamo Celiac

The GF bakery in the Springs is: www.outsidethebreadbox.com

The Colorado Springs group sent me the following sites to check out:
http://www.durango.org/Restaurants/index.asp   - this one you can select by restaurant type

http://www.durangomenu.com/ - this will give actual menus with phone numbers, etc. useful for calling ahead.