From:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:35:07 -0500

I have been gluten free for 2 years.  Recently i went for a glucose
tolerance test  because of tiredness, shakiness and sometimes
lightheaded weakness that seems to be connected to food intake. My
blood and urine glucose levels were taken at the beginning (after a 12
hour fast) and again after 2 hours. My levels came back in the normal
range. At the beginning 4.3 and 2 hours after drinking glucose solution
6.2. I live in Europe, so these may be measured differently than in
North America. I felt fine for those 2 hours, but after leaving the clinic
and heading out to find some food, i felt very ill. I was very shakey,
thought i would faint, sweating, dizzy. After eating something sweet, in
about 1/2 hour or 45min, things settled down.

Now my question. Since my levels were in the normal range, I am not
diagnosed with either diabetes or hypoglycemia. However, the docotor
indicated that my reaction after 2 1/2 hours was not normal and I have
to see a diabetes doctor. Has anyone else had an experience like
this? do you have any information that would help me to know what is
the problem? Many thanks to all who respond.