From:
Julia O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julia O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:33:02 -0400

I'm working with my son's pediatrician as well as a pediatric
gastroenterologist and an allergist to determine what is causing my
son's bm urgency/soiling.  He does not have diarrhea.  But several times
each week he involuntarily releases just enough stool to get his
underwear dirty.  All 3 docs have different recommendations.  He has had
blood drawn 3 times.  Here are the abnormal results:

IgG antigliadin antibody elevated
IgA antigliadin antibody elevated
tTG and anti-endomysial normal

IgE egg whites elevated
IgG casein elevated

We have eliminated milk (in all its forms) from his diet for 2+ months.
We have eliminated eggs from his diet (only a week ago - new
information).  But his urgency/soiling continue.

Gastroenterologist suggests he constipated (I disagree) and prescribed a
stool softener.  He's been on the stool softener for 6 weeks now.
Urgency/soiling continue.

Otherwise he is a great kid.no behavior issues, good grades, pleasant
disposition.

Pediatrician has recommended eliminating gluten to see what happens.

If this is the right thing to do.I'll start today.  But from what I
understand it would be better to do a small intestine biopsy before
going gluten-free.

As a baby he had lots of diarrhea/spitting up.but that has resolved as
he's grown.  He has always had frequent bowel movements - never hard
stools/straining/infrequent.

He has had a complete metabolic panel - all results normal.

He has had a cbc - white blood cell count is slightly low.

Does any of this sound like gluten sensitivity?  Or should we keep
looking?