Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:46:06 -0700

I asked for tried & true brands of GF tomato sauce after having what I
believe was a gluten reaction to a cheap "store brand" tomato sauce I had
never used before.  Here's a list of the recommended brands & the number
of people who mentioned each brand.  Following the list are some
interesting comments & information.  ~ Valerie in Tacoma

Glen Muir  -- 3
Del Monte -- 2
Hunts -- 3
Hunts, no salt -- 3
Contadina -- 4
Heinz -- 1
Great Value (Walmart brand) -- 1
Wegmans -- 1
Prego Traditional -- 2
---------------
I have used Contadina, but found that their tomato paste needs to be
watched.  I usually got roasted garlic flavor, but the last time my
husband brought home Italian herb or Italian spice flavor (can't remember
which).  ortunately I looked at the label, and it had wheat in it.   --
Bev
------------
Actually, I use Walmart brand which is Great Value.  I verified it's GF
status awhile back and have just continued to use it. . . . The other one
that I use is DelMonte.  -- Barbara in Missouri
---------
Contadina verifies that all products are gluten free with the exception
of the tomato paste with Italian seasonings.  It's always been my
favorite brand to make sauce with. ~Eleis in NY
-----------
There is a site you will find helpful. It was updated recently so it may
be more accurate than some. Tomato sauces are on page 47 & 48......(pull
the bar almost down to the bottom). I have found some dieticians to be
disappointing; don't be impressed by their title. Put your trust in
yourself..........remember, you are the expert on you. Nobody can judge
what you are doing to improve your own health. Asking for help is a great
start and then you can take the advice you get with a grain of salt and
decide if it is accurate enough by your standards.
        There are some companies that disclose gluten sources in their
ingredient list and others that don't. Keep up the good work.
http://www.napervillegi.com/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf  Best of luck to you,
Np
------------
I like Hunt's Unsalted since I have to watch my sodium.  Hunts has said
they have full disclosure labling.
Based on the lists I've seen, the tomato products with Italian seasoning
seem to have the most at risk for containing gluten ingredients.  -- Bev
in Milwaukee
--------------
Responding to your note on the Celiac List this week.  I’ve found that
Hunts can be contaminated and that Muir Glen is dependable. Check other
brands on the food product list that our support group has on Dr.
Holland’s celiac page at www.napervillegi.com.
Muir Glen's are GF; always read the ingredients, tho.  You get used to
something being GF and they can up and change it on you at any time.  We
get it at My Organic Market, a local organic grocer with three locations
in the Washington, DC area.  Whole Foods also carries it, maybe Wild
Oats, too.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!