Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barbara Ptak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:21:53 -0500

After posting my first summary, I received a very interesting response from
another member (posted below) that I wanted to share with all of you.  I'm
trying to quit, but, as anyone who smokes knows, it isn't an easy thing to
do.

Thank you again for all of your responses.
Barb

This abstract may be relevant to your concern. The study shows that smoking
can mitigate symptoms. Thus, smoking can reduce the impact of mistakes, etc.

Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003 Sep;15(9):995-1000.
Is the risk of adult coeliac disease causally related to cigarette exposure?

Suman S, Williams EJ, Thomas PW, Surgenor SL, Snook JA.

Gastroenterology Unit, Poole Hospital NHS Trust, Dorset, UK.

OBJECTIVE: Previous studies have shown an association between cigarette
smoking and coeliac disease, but it has yet to be established whether this
relationship is causal. The aim of this study was to assess causality using
the Bradford Hill criteria. METHODS: A matched case-control study using a
questionnaire to establish a detailed smoking history for 138 incident cases
of adult coeliac disease and 276 age-matched and sex-matched controls.
Subjects were categorized according to their active cigarette exposure prior
to diagnosis of the matched case, and odds ratios and tests for linear
trends were calculated. RESULTS: At the time of diagnosis, 10% of cases and
30% of controls were current smokers (odds ratio, 0.21 and 95% confidence
interval, 0.11-0.40 for coeliac disease in current smokers versus never
smokers). A biological gradient was demonstrated for total, recent and
current cigarette exposure. The greatest risk reduction related to current
exposure (odds ratio, 0.15, and 95% confidence interval, 0.06-0.37 for
coeliac disease in current heavy smokers versus never smokers). CONCLUSIONS:
This study strengthens the case for a causal relationship between smoking
and coeliac disease by demonstrating a strong, temporally appropriate and
dose-dependent effect, thus meeting the Bradford Hill criteria. This
suggests that cigarette smoking truly protects against the development of
adult coeliac disease.