From:
Betsy Linn Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Linn Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:49:50 -0500

Listmates:

There were a number of messages related to Roy's Restaurants after my
post with the information about the Chocolate Souffle recipe.  A
number of you shared your positive experiences with Roy's
Restaurants.  One person shared a positive experience at one
restaurant and a negative one at another.  Several people were
concerned about the appearance of soy sauce in the recipes at
http://www.roysrestaurants.com

I did go to the Austin Roy's for dinner last Friday.  My experience
was exceptional.  My waiter, John, was very attentive, informed, and
double checked everything.  They do not use a lot of soy sauce.  They
use some.  They make a number of their own sauces.  Some sauces have
wasabi/wasabe (horseradish) in them.  I have eaten things made with
wasabi based on label information only and have not had problems.
Sometimes wasabi is mixed with soy sauce, so do check carefully.
John carefully double checked everything.  I selected an entree that
included scallops which were prepared in a mixture of rice flour and
lime powder.  The side of rice was steamed as was the vegetable.
They let the sauces do the flavoring and generally do not add many
other seasonings.  I had no problems with my meal.  Of course I had
the Chocolate Souffle for dessert and it is impressive.  It
ordinarily comes with a cookie which was not included on my plate.

I look forward to returning to Roy's without hesitation.  All of the
staff were attentive to my gluten-free needs.  My experience with
dinner was problem free.

Bryson Keens, the Manager who helped with information last week, was
there when I visited Roy's.  I did not introduce myself until after I
had ordered my dinner, as I wanted to see how the order was handled
first.

Betsy
Austin, Texas

P.S.  The Outback Steakhouse's flourless brownie is not the same
recipe.  I did ask, as one listmate had raised the question.