From:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:35:31 -0500

Sorry for the late Summary.

My initial question asked how many people have found gluten within "Natural
Flavors" or "Spices" as everytime I have tracked down a product it has come
up clean.

Everyone will need to make their own decision,  but with a little knowledge
of general foods types, you are probably ok to occasionally eat something
that has "Natural Flavors" or "Spices" listed in the ingredient label
(without verifying it is GF).  If it is going to be a regular item in your
diet you will want to verify it absolutely.  The chances are pretty small
that you will find Gluten,  but if it is something you eat regularly it is
not worth the risk.

Below are more specific comments I received from people,  and a list of
items that DO contain hidden Gluten.

-Adam

Many people wrote back and said they almost never found Gluten in these
ingredients.  Some people say they no longer worry about them.

Many people warned me of negative/attacking emails that I would receive
because of my question.  I'm happy to say I didn't receive any.

One person says they only worry about natural flavors in meat products,  or
something they eat regularly.

Many people said to be watchful for cross contamination, particularly when
eating at a guests house.

I did hear of a few products that people found Gluten within.  (I did not
verify that these products do or do not have gluten)

Knorr Vegetable Stock Cubes
Some Italian Spice Blends  (usually labeled on the spice bottle,  but not
when the spice was used in another product)
Ocean Sprays's Light Cranberry Juice
Gulden's mustard
Restaurant Mayo  (unless Kraft or Hellmann's)
Dannon Coffee Flavored Yoghurt
A can of lima beans and ham (from years back)  :)

One person sent me a list of brands that claim to list wheat, rye, barley,
and/or major allergens (wheat only) if it is an ingredient in their foods.

Brands on this list specifically Label for wheat, rye, and barley
OR major allergens or both (if specified)

(I tried posting the list directly, but it put me over the 220 line limit.
I'll post the list on my site for a brief period of time,  or someone can
post as to a more permanent (and posssibly maintained) location.
http://www.evilfree.com/brands.txt