Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:18:34 -0700

(2) OTC SUPPLEMENTS & REMEDIES
MAGNESIUM OXIDE, 250 mg tablets, taken two or three times a day with
meals is generally effective.  For those without problems with psyllium,
Metamucil is a good choice.  Check the metamucil web site to see their
celiac section.  --Stephen Holland, M.D.

[Magnesium oxide tablets are available at many pharmacies, vitamin
stores, HFSs & on line.  It's inexpensive.]
---------------
After trying many, many remedies, I discovered that a quarter teaspoon of
magnesium oxide disolved in a little water at night was just the thing
for me.  I only use it about every 3-4 nights.  It doesn't act like a
laxative for me, just gets things moving.

[Magnesium oxide powder is available at HFSs and many on-line sites.
Just do a Google search for magnesium oxide powder.]
--------------
Make sure you take "the formula" to heal the gut.  With each meal take
one l-glutamine capsule and one probitoics complex. You will feel better
in just a few days and the gut will be completely healed....but in
between your gut will be working better.  In the meantime, your best bet
is to drink LOTS of water, eat dried fruit..dates, prunes apricots and
nuts..esp Brasil nuts!  They are natural fiber and will get things
moving.  Be aware that allergies to certain foods will cause
constipation.  In my case, chocolate creates instand cement.  So, keep a
food diary to help you figure things out.
------------
Ducosate Sodium pills (no name brand stool softener), glycerin
suppositories, ducolax suppositories
-------------
lots of raisins, and for some reason cashews, and a bunch of popcorn can
act as some good roughage ;-)
---------------
My husband . . . now uses psyllium + rice bran combination 2/day. . .
Also, drinking plenty of water is helpful. . . I found a website that is
quite informative about a high fiber diet -- see:
http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs01.htm.
--------------
acidophilus
-------------
I am Celiac and just started "Fiber Choice":  1-877-553-4237.  It IS GF.
So I am adding fiber to my diet.
--------------
HCl is stomach acid replacement.  It's not specifically disigned for
constipation, but everyone I know, self included, that takes HCl says it
promotes normal bowel function, beats both constipation & diarrhea.  . .
. because stomach acid is essential for normal digestion, it is also
essential for normal elimination.
-------------
Psyllium usually works for me (1 Tbs.. twice a day).  When it doesn't
work I take Phillips' Soft Chews but they can make me cramp up.

(3) HERBALS
-----------------
I use Naturalax by Nature's Way.  Works great!  Also Retention Coffee
Enemas purify the system.
-----------------
TRIPHALA capsules..........works the next day naturally. You can get it
in a HFS. It is an herbal remedy used in India. [4 people mentioned
Triphala.]
----------
Because I was dx'd so late, the damage had been done to my colon - my
docs prescribed so many different laxatives, that I now have a lazy
colon. Almost a year ago, I ran across an Indian remedy for constipation
- TRIPHALA. Twin Labs produces a GF capsule of this herb (?). There's
tons on the internet about Triphala, but basically, it restores normal
bowel action and can also be used to induce a more immediate response.
I've not had any side effects from taking it, but it's slow to work.
Usually, I end up having to take senna, too, which probably negates the
beneficial action of the Triphala (restoring better colonic tone).
-----------
Slippery elm.  Either powder mixed in water, or capsules.  For lack of
better phrasing, Slippery elm helps the ride out.
-----------
Finally, it dawned on me: Digestion.  My past experience with
constipation has been due to my not digesting food, hence, motility was
always problematic.  After finishing a normal meal, the transit time was
3 days or more. Although transit time is different for everyone,
personally, 3 days is too long for me.  Since taking digestive enzymes,
and not drinking liquids with a meal (to preserve stomach acid which aids
in digestion), I have one to two movements daily.  What a difference!
Another aid to constipation is the old standby, water.  Drinking enough
water daily has helped stave off constipation, too.

Now includes pop-up blocker!