Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:19:48 -0700

(4) PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
-------------
Subclinical hypothyroid function can cause constipation as well as other
health problems (high cholesterol, depression, fatigue, etc.)  My bowels
move more regularly since I've had my hypothydoid condition treated.
Even if a person has "normal" blood levels of thyroid hormones, if it's
on the low side of normal, constipation may be helped with appropriate
thyroid treatment.
------------
I suggest you ask your doctor to prescribe MIRALAX which is a powder like
substance and you just put it into liquid and drink it.  It has no taste
- I put it in my morning coffee and usually works soon afterwards.  I was
extremely constipated before being diagnosed with celiac and still get
constipated but not as much as I used to.  The Miralax really works.
------------
. . . Myralax powder. . . now comes in a generic that's much cheaper!
-------------
my 7 year old celiac son suffers from terrible constipation (he has a
redundant colon) and the gluten-free diet has helped, but not enough. . .
. The doctor wants him on Miralax, but I hesitate because it is petroleum
based and can cause neurological problems if it gets into the bloodstream
through the leaky gut syndrome.
[I personally believe think magnesium is safer.]

(5) MY ULTIMATE CONSTIPATION REMEDY

In addition to a good whole food diet rich in fruits & veggies & drinking
3+ quarts of water a day.  I drink this concoction every afternoon or
evening:

First I drink 3/4 cup of water with 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Then I take
several magnesium oxide tablets with my magic smoothy.

Magic smoothy
Blend together: 3/4 cup grapefruit juice, 3/4 cup kefir, 3/4 cup frozen
fresh fruit (papaya or pineapple)

I include the salt water for sodium & fruit juice for potassium because
if I don't take them, I get leg cramps at night.  For years I suffered
with nocturnal foot & leg cramps & no one could tell me why. I tried all
sorts of remedies, but I finally learned that large doses of magnesium
draw out salt & potassium.  And salt & potassium deficiencies result in
leg cramps.  So I include these & I only rarely have a cramp any more.
The acid in the grapefruit juice also helps stimulate peristalsis.  I
also use pineapple juice & orange juice.  I've also used grapefruit &
apple juice, but don't like their sweetness.  But any juice seems to work
just fine for me.

I've tried taking magnesium oxide tablets with meals, but it doesn't work
as well as bolus dose in the evening.

[Please don't ask how much magnesium I take.  I won't tell you.  You'll
have to figure out your own dose.  My doctor tole me to start with one
tablet & work up by one tablet a day until you get diarrhea. Then back
off by one one or two tabs & you've found you daily dose.  This is hwo I
found my dose & it's been pretty consistent for a long time.  I find, if
I don't use the juice, salt or kefir, I need to use more magnesium to get
the same results, so I stick to my routine.]

Valerie in Tacoma

Now includes pop-up blocker!