From:
"Christiane T." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christiane T.
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:10:55 -0400

"I had some success recently making coffee cake. It did not have the
lovely layering and flakiness of a croissant or Danish, but it did
have wonderful flavor and fit the breakfast pastry niche very well.
After 8 years g-f, it was the first time I had to stop myself from
eating too much of a breakfast baked dish.

I started with a recipe for scones, and substituted almond meal (Bob's
Red Mill) for half the flour. I mixed in several tablespoons of
marzipan (softened). I spread that into a quiche pan and baked it at
375 for about 7 minutes -- it was dried a bit but still quite soft.

I spread a can of almond filling on top and some blueberry jam on top
of that. Then, baked it for another 10 minutes at 325. I served it
with whipped cream, which makes a rich breakfast, but it was very
special. It would be good with slightly sweetened sour cream, too.

It was very sweet, so I plan to try one with sour cherry jam, for some contrast.

My g-f finnicky son loved it, and so did my two more open-minded and
adventursome gluten-eating kids!   Good luck.

-------------

"You'll probably have to give up on the croissant, but I have a
makeshift danish recipe that might make you happy.

Preheat oven to 450

2 cups of Gluten Free pantry's pancacke mix
1/4 cup of butter
2/3 milk

mix the flour and butter until crumbly.  add the milk.  use an
ice-cream scoop to put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
With wet fingertips, press out the scoops until you have a well you
can fill with the jam or fruit of your choice.  I usually buy comstock
fillings because they're easy.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on your oven.  When they are golden,
remove from oven and let cool.

Icing

2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 TBS milk

Drizzle icing over danishes.

Makes about 12 danishes.  I usually make a double batch, one cherry
and one apple.  I havent' tried blueberry yet, but I'm sure it would
be delicious!  Good luck! "

addendum: "I've tried it with other mixes and it doesn't work as well.
 If you are using another mix, go easy on the milk -- the batter
should be thick and hold its shape when scooped out with an ice cream
scoop.  "

Thank you again to everyone!  I'll post any further recipes/ideas I receive.
Christiane