From:
Barbara Ptak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Ptak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:34:41 -0500

Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my questions. The support and
information I have received through this site has been amazing.

The general consesus is that Old El Paso (aka General Mills) will state on
their packaging if wheat ingredients are included.  I did receive an email
response from Old El Paso that stated specifically if wheat ingredients are
included, they will say so on the package.  A copy of their response is
included below for all who are interested.  I was impressed with the fact
that they included the C.S.A. mailing address, phone number and web site in
their response.

One person has used a taco seasoning mix from the Gluten Free Pantry &
stated it is "a bit spicier but yummy".

A number of people responded stating that they use OEP taco
seasoning mix,
refried beans and corn taco shells without a problem.

A couple of people said that you are better off to contact OEP/General
Mills by phone for each product in question.

Again, thank for all the responses, information and support.

Barb  MA

RESPONSE FROM OLD EL PASO:
Thank you for contacting Old El Paso regarding gluten in Old El Paso
products.

It is our primary goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they
can include our products in their diet.  To accurately accomplish this, we
believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each
product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to
assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats
or other sources of gluten, then the product would be gluten-free.  Sources
of gluten are listed on the label even if the
 source of gluten is part of
another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice).  Because ingredients may
vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should
use the product’s ingredient label to provide you with current and accurate
information.

Additional information regarding gluten may be obtained by contacting your
health care professional or:

Celiac Sprue Association/United States of America, Inc.
PO Box 31700
Omaha, NE  68131-0700
402-558-0600
www.csaceliacs.org