Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:14:17 -0500

Greetings to all my fellow Special Eaters!

Another summer has raced by and fall is around the corner. Special Eats is growing with leaps and bounds and more classes are available. I am also consulting with businesses. Corporations and restaurants are interested in entering the gluten-free market or training their staff regarding gluten, dairy and other allergy issues, and I can help. All of us with special eating needs will share in the benefits.

Last weekend Wild Oats, Hinsdale, IL hosted a gluten-free pancake breakfast and it was a huge success. 110 people attended. WOW! I was a busy pancake flipper.  Proceeds benefited the Celiac and Autism Foundations.

Wheaton, IL Whole Foods is having a pancake breakfast on September 18. It will be gluten and dairy free.

Other events to note are a free "Back to School" tasting event Thursday, September 9th from 6-8 PM at Natural Health Foods 411 E. Ogden Avenue, Naperville, IL 630/355-4840

Another "Back to School" Tasting event will be Saturday, September 11, from 10 AM - 2 PM at Palatine Whole Foods, 1331 N. Rand Road, Palatine, IL  847/776-8080

The Wheaton Gluten-Free Support Group is growing too. We have 80 plus members! It is open to all, no charge, just show up on the third Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM. Learn how to enjoy gluten-free living with others on the same journey. Meeting is from 7:30-9:00 PM at Wheaton Whole Foods, 151 Rice Lake Square, Wheaton, IL.

In addition to classes at Wild Oats in Hinsdale and Wheaton Whole Foods, I now have classes at the Palatine Whole Foods, Oak Brook Williams-Sonoma (daytime classes) and a three-week class at College of DuPage.  Register today! Call or email if you are interested in a schedule.

As always, if you have questions, concerns or comments call Sueson Vess at 630.846.4605 or email [log in to unmask]

I hope to see you at a class soon.

Here is a great meatloaf recipe using heart-healthy, low-fat and delicious ground buffalo. Bon Appétit!

Buffalo Meat Loaf

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 celery ribs, finely chopped

1 large carrot, finely chopped

3 teaspoons vegetable oil (divided)

3/4 cup fine gluten-free bread crumbs

1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

1 large egg

2 tablespoons gluten-free ketchup (or pureed roasted peppers)

1 tablespoon gluten-free Mr. Spice Garlic Steak Sauce (or GF Worcestershire sauce)

2 teaspoons salt (divided)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

2 pounds ground buffalo

1 onion cut in quarters

6 plum tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges or other vegetable like peppers, zucchini, carrots or potatoes

1/2 cup water (for deglazing pan)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cook onion, celery and carrots in 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat until softened.  Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and stir in gluten-free breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, ketchup, Garlic Steak Sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir in buffalo (do not over mix) and form mixture into a 10 inch x 4 inch oval loaf and place in a shallow metal baking pan. Toss onions and cut vegetables with remaining oil, salt and pepper to taste, and then scatter around meat loaf. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted 2 inches into the center registers 160 degrees F.

Transfer meat loaf and vegetables to a platter and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

While meatloaf is standing, make sauce by deglazing the baking pan with water over moderate heat, scraping up brown bits. Strain sauce through a fine sieve before serving.

Serve meat loaf with vegetables and sauce.

Serves 4-6