From:
Julianne Aloe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:41:54 +1000

most people who get depressed have no celiac problems.  Therefore it is
not surprising that the diet is not helping you with depression.  First,
some generalizations about depression.  It is a universal experience.
Everyone gets depressed at times, but only for a few days. Blue, down in
the dumps, "all gone" feelings.  Sleep and appetite disturbance.  Bad
thoughts in the early morning hours usually.  Very often a natural event
reverses the downhill slide.  Not good natural events, but disasters. Or
a good fight. Or a severe physical illness. An Argentine MD told me 50
years ago that a common practice was to produce a septic abcess by
injecting streptococci (germs) into a thigh muscle to produce a severe
illness and relieve the depression.  That was before the serotonin
treatments we have now.  Another MD, Dr Robert Carroll at the Highland
Hospital in Asheville North Carolina, knew that excercize he lped and
his patients were "prescribed" so many hills to climb or fields to walk
around each day.  Remarkably, excercize helps even though you don't feel
like it.  Now, it turns out, excercize increases serotonin blood levels
almost exactly to the level that the anti depressants do.  A great story
from 150 years ago is that of a Presbyterian minister who became
profoundly depressed and dysfunctional.  He spent most of his days
walking the countryside until a member of his congregation gave him one
of the early box cameras.  He then walked and took pictures which have
now been reproduced in several volumes named for the places where he
took them.  His name was Wallace Nutting and his works, books and
pictures, are collectors items.  His wife colored most of them by hand
in delicate water colors. =20 But regardless of the remedy, depression
is self limited . If you can stick with it you will eventually feel
better.  Meantime read Rudyard Kipling's little poem "If" and an even
smaller one by TS Eliot called "The Hoo Haws" which is about the bad
thoughts in the night. Remember, each of these poets was severely
depressed at times and became better poets and persons as they worked
thru it.  Good luck.  Jack Maines North Creek NY  PS: Your Address
suggests Australian Nutritionist.  Have you run into byronshop.com.au?
Excellent gf foods. Especially the new muesli- when you don't feel like
eating.

I find that I have to be both GF and sugar free/yeast free.  I believe I
have a systemic yeast thing going on in addition to CD.  As a result, I
do not eat sugar, sweets, mushrooms, or cheese.

Not sure this is helpful to you but it works for me in that I feel much
better and sleep much better.

---------------------------------------

Depression is such a common and normal occurrence whether you have
celiac or not.  Deppression is a result of brain chemistry which can be
altered for a variety of reasons.  It could have been triggered by the
Celiac and lord knows it is deppressing dealing with Celiac sometimes.
Continue doing things you suggested.  Anything that is kind to your
body, mind and spirit cannot hurt.  Realize though that if you do not
find relief there, consulting a good therapist in your area would only
be beneficial whether dealing with the Celiac or just dealing with life.

How long have you been eating Gluten Free??? I know for me,,,,it takes a
REALLY long time to 'feel better!' I was severly iron deficient when I
was diagnosed,,,,so tired/fatigue,,,,and depression were all part of
it,,,,for a very long time.  I was diagnosed 1 1/2 yrs ago!!!=20 =20 My
husband and I started the ATkins diet in late March,,,,and by June/July
I was taken off the iron pills due to it being tooooo high!!!! I was so
thrilled and feel the best I have felt in 'ever'! =20 So,,,just a
thought to try atkins,,,,or up the protien in your diet? =20

Hope this helps.   oh,,,multivitamins help,,,,too.

I and my daughter both continue to suffer from depression even though we
have=20 been GF for years.  The only trick we know of is meds from a
doctor. :( Well the meds do help, though getting the right one and the
right dosage is a=20 pain.  Also, sometimes you have to change as the
old med stops working. No tricks . . . just Effexor.  Mood swings are
minimal now

After going through all of these emails, it is evident that within this
group as with most of the population, depression is a large concern.
Perhaps those of us within this list can make an effort to support each
other, personally I offer my support to all of you!

Once again, thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you all good health and
happiness

 Cheers

Julianne