From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:04:27 -0800

Hi All--

Some people have written to tell me they couldn't access the abstract/article and some have asked me to post the article in a message.

First, I guess in the past I registered on PubMed or NIH to be able to get to this abstract when someone sent the link to me. Registration must have been free because I don't pay for these things. Secondly, no, I didn't pay $30 to get the whole article. Typically, what I do is read the abstract and if I want the article I go to the hospital library and if they carry the journal, I copy the article there - much cheaper!

So, since I didn't think that everyone couldn't get the abstract, here it is. The journal is Trends in Immunology, November 2004, Volume 25, Issue 11, pages 578-582. I'm so sorry to have caused so much trouble for everyone.

 Trends Immunol. 2004 Nov;25(11):578-82.Related Articles, Links

The immunology of gluten sensitivity: beyond the gut.

Hadjivassiliou M, Williamson CA, Woodroofe N.

Department of Neurology, The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield, UK, S10 2JF.

The terms gluten sensitivity and coeliac disease (also known as gluten-sensitive enteropathy) have thus far been used synonymously to refer to a disease process affecting the small bowel and characterised by malabsorption and gastrointestinal symptoms. Yet, gluten sensitivity can exist even in the absence of an enteropathy. The systemic nature of this disease, the overwhelming evidence of an immune pathogenesis and the accumulating evidence of diverse manifestations involving organs other than the gut, such as the skin (dermatitis herpetiformis) and the nervous system (gluten ataxia, gluten neuropathy), necessitates a re-evaluation of the belief that gluten sensitivity is solely a disease of the gut. By studying the pathogenesis of these diverse manifestations we are more likely to improve our understanding of this disease entity as a whole.

PMID: 15489185 [PubMed - in process]