From:
laura chris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
laura chris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:48:16 -0700

Hello, sorry if this is late, we have had computer challenge.

Thank you all for all your responses.  You all have such a great wealth of
knowledge!
We have talked with Dr. Amy De Felice.  She wants to do an upper GI  just
to rule any structure problems and he has never had one done before and
keep him on acid reducing med's.  We are also going to reduce the amount of
citric acids in his foods.   He already barely drinks OJ, soda, any
processed drinks and his foods are bland!  But, hey we will try.  He has
been dairy free (no milk, ice cream, cheese) for 6 years.  He does have
dairy in processed through bread etc.  Just not straight up. He is on 1900
to 2100 calories a day to maintain his weight.

1. check out www.medicinenet.com/Barretts_Esophagus/page3.html  The report
talks about occasional eosinophil in layers of the esophagus and it does
not always mean damage.
2.The word squamous does not always mean cancer.
3. Find a new Doctor, she is not explaining reports well, not keeping up
her 'oath'. A few agreed with finding a new Dr.
4. search www.pudmed.com   for Symptoms, acid exposure & motility in
patients with Barrett's esophagus. Description of Barrett's does not seem
to fit your sons biopsy report.  Check with an endocrinologist about the
high serum calcium.  He has had his Vit. D, Vit. E, minerals etc check and
they just came back normal.
5. High calcium levels could mean high in circulation, low in overall
status.  GERD, some people have found they have low acid, versus high acid.
6. One person found out they had asthma their whole life and did not
realize it was caused by reflux.
7. One asked about his duodenum or jejunum.  (He did have these tested, he
did have mild reduction.  But Dr. Felice thinks it is nothing to worry
about, it was new and was probably from the 7 weeks of being on the gluten
re-challenge.)
8. Some said to go to a alternative doctor, that mainstream GI's won't be
much of help.
(* we are trying to get into to see a recommended MD/alternative-natural
doctor this summer.)
9. One with Barrett's for 3 years and had GERD for 10 years before
diagnosed.  They take Protonix to help.  Suggested; do not eat after 6:30
PM (at least 3 -4 hours before bed)   No bending or hard exercise after a
meal.  Eat small meals during the day.
There is a study about Black raspberries and Barrett's.  The black
raspberries have proved to reverse the effects of cancer in the esophagus.
10.  Did your doctor check out Eosinophil Esophagitis?  It is similar to
celiac, non-IGE allergy-like disease which is diagnosed via endoscopy and
presence of eosinophils indicate the disease.  It means an allergy to
foods.  In NYC the top pediatric allergist Dr. Hugh Sampson out of Mt.
Sinai and GI Dr. Nanci Pittman at Mt. Sinai.
11. check out
www.cincinnatichichildrens.org/about/news/release/2000/12-allergy-reflux.htm
l   Eosinophilic Esophagitis Research

We are bring our son to a new allergist this summer.  We all have sinus,
nasal and asthma.  We are waiting for some other food allergy tests to come
back from his pulmonary Dr.  We are checking corn, rice, etc. to see if
that is compounding the issue.

Thank you!