From:
Tim McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 21:44:57 -0400

After a couple days of very few reply, I got some much needed help today.  I
got some VERY informative suggestions that I will summarize below.  Keep in
mind that both King's Island and Carowinds are operated by the same company,
so they should have similar concessions, but by no means does that mean that
what is gf at one place is definitely gf at the other.

Like many amusement parks these days, all bags and backpacks brought into
the park are subject to search.  Many people said that it is safest to just
bring in your own food and store it in a locker.  One person said that if
you just let the security people at the gate know about your health
condition they will let you bring in the food.  Another person said that
they called the park and explained their condition.  The park (Carowinds)
took down her name and gave it to the front office so she could pass through
with the food and little hassle.

I would say your safest bet is to call ahead because another poster sent me
this message on what is allowed:

Here's what the Parks policy is about bringing in food The following items
are NOT permitted:

Coolers and thermoses, Soft drinks and bottled water brought from home,
alcohol, family size bags of snack, meals brought in from the outside.

They did check my husband's bag (they didn't check the other 5 of us and we
all had bags.) The only thing they lady said anything about was the can of
Torangos. Because it was foil lined they can't see through it / metal
detector type issue. She said next time to put them in a baggie.

Here are some other GF ideas I got ***be careful with cross
contamination***:

-Dippin' Dots (use common sense when picking flavors)

-Potato wedges (unsure about cheese sauce)

-frozen lemonade

-icee float (ice mixed with soft serve)

-Skyline chili - no noodles (most likely only available at Kings Island.it's
a Cincy thing)

-Hot dogs/burger meats are provided by Hillshire and are gluten free (I was
only told about this at Kings Island, so I don't know the status of
Carowinds' meats)