From:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 15:42:46 -0600

Ok, I'm really upset by the responses I recieved. I am not an idiot...I understand that most of the rice's have macaroni in them, I was simply asking about the few that do not but are made by the BRAND NAMES "rice a roni" etc...
I thought that this list was supposed to be more supportive than discouraging.
Here are a few of the nicer responses I recieved...
Mostly everyone just stays away because they are produced on the same lines.

I only can tell you that wild rice istn't glutenfree. We are from Germany
and our celiac support group there has listed rice as glutenfree except
wildrice. You can eat Uncle Ben's rice but not the wild.

My understanding is that you can use uncle bens wild rice but throw away the seasoning packet
 eat Uncle Ben's brown rice and it is ok
I don't use them, but wanted to share a thought that some companies use a dusting of flour on the rise to keep the rice from sticking together. The rise needs to be rinsed thoroughly before cooking.

I still make rice pilaf with Uncle Ben's converted long grain rice.  Instead of using egg noodles, I use the rice noodles.  I like the brown rice best and get the rice noodles that are wrapped in cellophane.  I rinse them under warm water and take a pair of kitche scissors and cut them up into smaller pieces and brown them in the butter and then add the rice and chicken broth with some salt and cook for about an hour.  It is really good.  The Uncle  Ben's rice is gluten free.  I emailed them and they said it is.    Enjoy the pilaf.
Celiacs may not eat enriched or enhanced rice

We eat the Long Grain and Wild Rice Original and it does not bother anyone
here. No wheat listed on the label.

Read the archives.  Wild rice is not a good thing for CD, because it
is closer to being in the grass/wheat family than in the rice family.
I do not eat it.  Uncle Ben's rice is fine.  If you are looking for
variety, may I suggest basmati rice or jasmine rice.  I buy mine at a
local asian market