From:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:10:23 -0500

I apologize for taking so long to post a summary on this.  Here's what I
found.  Unfortunately there weren't a lot of supermarket-brand suggestions,
which is what I'd hoped for; I'll just have to start calling companies.

One poster said she never gets sick from eating corn flour.  However, since
I'm being much more careful than I used to be, and react badly to any
cross-contamination, I'm not willing to take chances, but some of you might.

"Mrs. Bullington operates the water mill that her father built.  She grows
and grinds the corn.  The problem is that shipping costs about as much as
the meal.   Her number is 931-582-3385.  She only grinds corn."

One member said that Authentic Foods makes a GF corn flour.  Another uses
Quaker; she notes that there's still a possib
ility of cross contamination
with oats, but since the concern with oats (according to most of us) is
cross contamination with wheat, that makes it a very remote chance of
trouble (too much for me, but for most of you that might be OK).

Another member (from Louisiana, no less) said that most fish there is
actually breaded in corn meal, not corn flour (Acme's recipe did contain
some corn flour, but I'm not sure it made that much difference).  She uses
Alber's brand corn meal.  She also greatly lauds the qualities of palm oil
for frying, and offered this recipe:

"I dip the fillets in eggs, then roll them in salted corn meal.  I fry them
in about 1/2 inch of palm oil shortening for 2 minutes on each side.  It
saves on oil to pan fry them this way & they come out just as nice as if
they were deep fried. Oysters could be done this way, too, but it would
require a lot of attention & turnin
g.

Another member uses masa:  "I use masa, as I figure the companies that make
it are big enough that they either do only corn or use a separate grinder
for wheat.  You see, I have ground both with a hand mill, so I know that you
can do both with the same mill, but you have to set it differently.  Hardly
seems it would be worth the trouble in a big operation.  You could try
contacting the masa companies.  It tastes a bit different, but I prefer it."

Thanks to all who posted!

Lenore