From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:22:35 -0400

More recipes ...

Ice cream cakes aare incredibly simple to make.  First put=20
bowl in freezer to get really cold while taking ice cream=20
OUT of freezer tp soften.  Line bowl with plastic=20
wrap....try to make it as smooth as possible.  Spoon=20
softened ice cream into bowl or cake pan and freeze for 20=20
min.  If desired sprinkle w3ith gf cookie crumbs or chopped=20
nuts.  Cover with another layer of ice cream, wrap with=20
plastic wrap and refreeze. When ready to serve, remove from=20
pan and place on cake plate.  Cover cake with whipped cream=20
to decorate and place back in freezer until 20 min before=20
serving...cut with knife dipped in hot water
______
I'm not sure how to tell you to make one, but I did read from Carvel =
that you can substitute the crunchies for different toppings, if you =
wanted to just buy one...The ice cream is GF and there are a lot of GF =
toppings to choose from like M&M mini's or crushed peanuts and hot =
fudge.  They said if you go to the store they would be happy to help you =
make a custom cake.  I might email Carvel to get the most recent GF =
list.
______
You'll need:
 1 box of gf cookies (I usually use Glutano Chocolate O's or Health =
Valley
Rice Bran Crackers)
 1 gallon of gf ice cream
 1 bottle gf hot fudge (or other sauce of your choice)
 Wilton cake decorating stuff

 1 Springform pan
 1 mortar and pestle
 waxed paper and scotch tape
 1 Spatula

1. Line the Springform pan with waxed paper (you'll need the tape to =
hold
the waxed paper in place.
2. Crush the cookies in the mortar and pestle.
3. Press the cookie crumbs into the bottom of the pan.
4. Place the pan in the freezer to harden.
5. Soften the ice cream for ~1/2 hour at room temperature.
6. Spread 1/2 of the ice cream over the cookie layer.
7. Freeze for ~1 hour.
8. Melt the sauce (I use the microwave, but follow the instructions on =
the
jar) and pour it over the ice cream layer.
9. Freeze for ~1 hour.
10. Soften the remaining ice cream for ~1/2 hour at room temperature.
11. Spread the remaining ice cream over the sauce layer and level the =
top
with a spatula.
12. Freeze for ~1 hour.
13. Decorate with cake decorations (I use the Wilton letters -- frosting
really doesn't stick well to the ice cream).

When you're ready to serve, remove from the freezer and let sit for at =
least
15 minutes before removing from the Springform pan and slicing.
_______

You can order an ice cream cake without the cookie center if you give =
them a
day's notice.
___________

Take 3 flavors of sherbert.  Scoop into balls and put into the freezer.
Take a gallon of vanilla ice cream - put in a bowl to melt. Take an =
angel food cake pan or tube pan (lined with foil) and layer the sherbert =
balls.  Then take the melted vanilla ice cream and pour around the =
balls.  Put in the freezer to set.  When frozen take out of pan and put =
on cake plate.  I sometimes put it back in the freezer for a while to =
set up again.  Frost the cake with cool whip. Put back in the freezer =
until you're ready to serve it.
________________
We use 8"-9" rounds, you can use square or whatever shape you want.  We
would bake the cakes in large cupcake looking liners, wax paper or =
parchment
paper is fine or just oil/grease and flour the pan. **To cook the cake =
evenly have a thick cloth, old towels cut to size work well,  wet it and =
wrap on the outside and pin, this slows down the cooking
of the sides while the middle cooks and you get a flat even looking =
cake. This may not concern you this time.** Let the cake cool for a few =
minutes in the pan on a cooling rack and then put the rack ontop of the =
cake and flip the cake out and cool cake completely.  Pick your ice =
cream and let the ice cream soften the put the ice cream in the same =
size & shape container the cake has been cooked in and put back in the =
freezer to freeze.  Lining the pan with wax paper can be nice, something =
to help you pull the ice cream out with. When frozen solid again take =
out of the freezer and  put it on the  /dish/cardboard that has foil =
around it, helps to have a paper dollie on it with a bit of frosting on =
the bottom to secure it and to secure the ice cream. Put cake on top.  =
Lightly frost cake and ice cream and return to freezer. When stable =
again, frost the cake as you want it, and border the bottom so the cake =
is secure.  Return to freezer.  You may need to decorate in stages to =
make sure the cake stays stable on the ice cream. I have a yellow cake =
mix and shortening frosting I use often  attached. Otherwise just =
freezing the ice cream and decorating that with out the cake, using =
several ice cream layers can be just as great and using whipped cream =
from the cans to decorate around the edges.

I've bought a solid chocolate ice cream cake from Basket and Robbins =
before. You can pick from a few other flavors too. Just make sure you =
get the SOLID ice cream and no cake or crumbs.=20

That's it folks.  Thank you all very much.  I feel prepared now!
Lori