From:
Paul Pehrson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Pehrson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 14:23:34 -0600

While visiting Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada last weekend, my
wife and I ate at a small (new) Italian restaurant in the town of
Waterton.

Now, I know, usually we Celiacs tend to avoid Italian restaurants, but
my wife was hungry for Italian, so I said I'd look to find something I
could eat.

When I explained to my server that I can't eat wheat, he said, "Oh,
Celiac disease." When we asked him how he knew of Celiac he said that he
had gone trough province-sponsored food-service training, and he had
been taught about Celiac disease.

Both the server and the cooks seemed to be well-informed, and I
recommend the restaurant to those of you who are willing to try an
Italian restaurant. Obviously the choices were limited, but I ate BBQ
chicken wings without any problem (the server checked the label on the
BBQ sauce, and didn't find anything suspicious (the cook wouldn't let
the server bring the ingredient list to the table); I didn't have a
reaction).

So, for those of you are interested I recommend:

Tuscana Ristorante
Waterton Lakes National Park
Phone: 403-859-2236
Fax: 403-859-2237

(I don't have the address, and I couldn't find it on their website, but
Waterton is a very small town; there are only two or three streets with
lots of shops; If you want specific directions, you can call them.)

www.tuscana.ca (not a great site, but the menu is included)

Good luck!

Paul Pehrson
Spanish Fork, Utah