From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:20:20 -0500

My grandson and granddaughters are all in scouts and go camping all the
time. They take their own hot dogs, corn tortilla for the weiners and
Hormel Chili with Beans for their sauce. I used to make up my own pancake
mix and
they just add the liquid. Adam is older now and makes sure he uses a clean
skillet to make his pancakes. We either make or buy gluten free cookies,
crackers etc. for their snacks. They take fruit, nuts also for snacks.
There are just a lot of things they can do to have a good time and stay
gluten free.

*****

My boys are in boy scouts and go camping just about every month. Some of my
suggestions may be more boy oriented (like they like to eat everything if
possible off a stick) but there are options. I usually send all the gf
items needed in my own cooler so there is no worry about contamination. I
am assuming that you have propane stoves for the cooking. If everything is
done over an open fire then that will be a little different.

Breakfast:
Popular boy scout items are pancakes or scrambled eggs and sausage (on a
stick). If they opt to do pancakes (they get the kind that all you need to
do is add water and pour) but what I do is to make up my sons ahead of time
put it into several plastic bags and chill. Everyone knows that they use
the griddle first and all they have to do is to clip the end of the bag and
squeeze. Scramble eggs are something that there isn't a problem with.
Sausages either cooked on the griddle (first to grease for pancakes or
eggs) or on a stick and work for all as long as they are gf. You could
always have cereal and milk.

Lunch:
Pasta is a good option or of course lunchmeat or peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches. Just bring your own pasta and a separate pot. Make sure that
the brand of sauce is GF. There is of course, hot dogs and hamburgers also.
Just send the gf tolls and make sure that the hot dogs are a brand that is gf.

Dinner:
One of the best camping dinners that seem to please all is what is called
Silver Turtles. They are actually packets that you cook directly in the
fire. We usually have precooked chicken or raw groundbeef and then cut up
veggies like carrots, onions, peppers, broccoli, squash etc. Each person
gets their aluminum foil (thus the name silver turtles) adds what they
want, season, mark with a sharpie and place in the fire. We then serve this
over Minute Rice.
You could always do spaghetti for dinner. Tacos also work well.

Dessert:
Smores work -- we use Ener-g crackers in place of the graham crackers and
make sure that they have gf marshmallows and chocolate bars.

Snacks:
They usually also have fresh fruit and fruit snacks like the roll ups or
fruit by the foot or those types of things for snacks. Also raisins. If I
know that they are hiking and having granola or energy bars, I send some of
their gf ones.

*****

One suggestion that comes to mind is, if your daughter can have dairy, is
the Kraft cheese strips. Precious string cheese is NOT GF, but the Kraft
ones are - read the label, as allergens will be listed. These are
individually wrapped, so cross-contamination isn't an issue. Also, Oscar
Meyer (Kraft product) hot dogs are GF (again, read the label). Your husband
will need to grab your daughter's hot dog before others are touching them
if possible, especially if they've prepared/touched their buns.