From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:34:34 -0500

Hi Everyone,

My thanks to all of you who responded with vegetarian information for my niece.  Your kindness is much appreciated.

Below is the information that I received:
+++++++++++++++++++
I have several GF/Veggie recipes on our webforum...located here...http://www.healthygoodiesgifts.com/webforum.html
The fried bean cake(or bean burger) is Vegan and Gluten Free.
+++++++++++++++++++++
I have been a vegetarian for 20 years and GF for more than a year and a half. (Actually, I am now a vegan, as I no longer eat dairy.) Here are some recommendations of items I know exist and which people I trust have enjoyed. I eat almost no processed food of any kind, so I have not tried most of these items personally. And as I cannot eat soy either, I have not been able to eat the soy products recommended below either, but I know people who do and appreciate them and find them palatable.

Most of these things can be purchased at Whole Foods, at large,
reputable supermarket chains, at health food co-ops, and some on-line:

1) Amy's makes a line of Gluten Free (most have dairy) frozen foods that are produced on a line where gluten foods are also produced, but the lines are cleaned between uses. So, it depends on your/her feelings about this. I know several people who think these are very, very good. I cannot eat them because I do not eat dairy. In particular, there is an Indian meal of chick peas, matar paneer, and rice that is supposed to be excellent. There is also GF macaroni and cheese and several other GF items. There may be a pizza with soy cheese and a rice flour crust, too.
2) Amy's makes several GF canned soups. They say GF on the label.  Many are bean varieties with plenty of protein.
3) There are many varieties of "soy cheese" which could be used for sandwiches on GF breads, some of which come frozen, and many which can be ordered on-line.
4) Westbrae makes wonderful canned beans that are GF for quick, easy GF meals cooked with your own spices and put on rice.
5) Lundberg rice company makes pre-packaged brown and wild rice mixes that are GF, have some protein, and are quite delicious (I have tried these).
6) Thai Foods rice noodles are GF and make a nice change to cook with beans for a healthy GF, vegetarian meal.
7) BE CAREFUL WITH VEGGIE BURGER TYPE FOODS MOST OF WHICH HAVE hydrolized veggie protein with wheat. BUT, I think there are a few commercially produced brands of GF veggie burgers made from sunflower seeds and soy. I'd look this up on-line by trying "sunflower" + Veggie Burger, etc. I saw some recently, but do not recall the name. The burger was labeled wheat free and gf and consisted mostly of seeds and nuts.
8) ENJOY LIFE Foods makes a rice snack bar with seeds and dried fruit and brown rice that has 4 grams of protein per bar that is a decent snack. All Enjoy Life products are free of most common allergens, in
addition to being GF.
9) Many recipes in vegetarian cookbooks can be modified for a GF diet. For baked goods, be sure to add guar gum or xanthan gum to the flours.  But a decent bean flour mixture and/or brown rice flour mixture works in most of these recipes. And Lundberg Farms brown Wehani rice, very, very dense, would work well as a substitute for wheat berries and things like that.
10) Look on-line for products to order by typing "gf + vegetarian" etc. etc. There are hundreds of products available, including boxed and frozen main meals. As long as she can still eat soy, nuts, and potatoes
there are many choices.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I use the Clan Thompson program.  They list GF and Vegetarian status.  Go to Clan Thompson and search for their home page.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My daughter and I are also celiac vegetarians. My daughter enjoys Tofu pups (a vegetarian hot dog)from Lightlife (have found them in our grocery store in Texas, since moving to Missouri, we buy them at the
Health Food Store). I don't know of any brands of veggie burgers that are gluten free.

Amy's Kitchen brand makes several gluten free/dairy free freezer meals.  I know for sure the black bean  enchiladas are ok. Amy's also makes vegetarian broth that is a good base for soups. They have a website that lists gluten free products(all their products are vegetarian).  http://www.amys.com/

Veganaise http://www.followyourheart.com/vegenaise.html is an egg free gluten free mayo-type product that my meat loving gluten eater husband loves as well. (you didn't mention if your niece eats eggs, so I thought
I'd throw that in)

Annie's Naturals (http://www.anniesnaturals.com/Merchant/index.htm) makes many dairy free/gluten free dressing and the info is all on their site.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  I find that Amy's products are wonderful and clearly labeled Vegan and/or Gluten Free.  If you are anywhere near a Whole Foods (none in my area although I've been to a few out of state), they have their 365 Brand of veggie burgers which are GF and very tasty.  It is the only veggie burger I have seen that is also GF.  I still get my protein from the same source as before I went GF - tofu and legumes.  Amy's also makes a GF pizza, available at Whole Foods, but I don't know if they make one that is dairy-free as well.

   I don't know how sensitive your niece is to gluten, but I think she should be wary of soy milk, especially the kind that is not refrigerated.  Every major brand I could find on the dry shelves are not gluten free, and even say that there is something like .005% gluten in the drinks.  I have confirmed that Silk Soymilk is gluten free (on their website).  This kind can be found in the refrigerated section, but is quite costly in comparision (but MUCH tastier, in my opinion).

   Also, Tofutti brand cannot confirm that any of their products are gluten free (even though the ingredients may tell us otherwise) because of cross-contamination issues.  They make a number of frozen desserts that your niece may already be familiar with - something to be careful about.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Green Guru has several frozen items that are gf:
Thai Vegetables in Red Curry sauce
Channa Masala (you'll need to make your own rice)
Vegetable Pilaf - this is a side dish
Dal Rajastani ( this is a side dish)

Cedarlane has an entrée called Enchilada Pie

Amy's has cheese enchiladas which are gf.

Also, Thai Kitchen has food items that are gf (these are NOT frozen).
The Pad Thai can be made with vegetables and tofu.  And they have Noodle
Bowls that are also both gf and vegetarian.
Amy's makes some good vegetarian frozen entrees but a lot of them have
dairy. Check the website: http://www.amys.com

Tasty Bite makes good ones, too. http://www.tastybite.com/

Part II to follow.

Barbara in Missouri