From:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Otey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:53:24 -0500

Hello all,
There is a lot on the archives about all this but it seems to be more
records of questions than answers.

I've been gf for almost a year now, and I'm also preparing to begin to get
a formal diagnosis--I see an actual doctor who gets celiac in about 2
weeks. So that will be good, hopefully!

I've had success on the gf diet--it hasn't been easily mentally or
socially, but physically it's saved me a lot of discomfort. However, after
spending the first half of October dairy-free (as an experiment--I felt
fine, but it's not like it changed my life, probably because I wasn't
eating a lot of dairy before really) I went back to eating butter and
parmesean cheese regularly--and it is having noticeable negative di
gestive
effects, similar somewhat to my gluten reactions.

Now, since most adults are lactose intolerant, I'm willing to concede that
I'm one of them, and I should either dig up those dairy pills I used when
I first went gf or give away my cheese. But here are my questions:

1) Since hard cheese and butter are low-lactose dairy products, should I
consider that it might be the casein and not the lactose (though casein
allergies are much rarer)?

2) Is it possible that I might be just really lactose (and or casein)
intolerant and not gluten intolerant at all? (The period in which I was
dairy-free but not gluten-free when I began this figure-out-my-food-
problems odyssey was very brief, and when I began my gf diet I was dairy
free and soy free as well as gluten free. I eat soy occassionally now.)
Obviously the way to test this would be to stop eating all dairy and
casein and go out
 for some bread (ah, tempting, sort of!) but I think that
might be rather a rash decision...

I've read some similar stories of doubts about what the culprit of food
problems is, so I thought I'd put my thoughts out there. I guess I really
should have gotten around to seeing a real doctor sooner.... I just hope
this guy won't call me crazy like the last one did....

I can't tell you how happy I will be when I figure out for sure what
exactly my body doesn't like to eat!

Jessica