From:
Richelle Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richelle Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:22:37 -0500

Hi Again Everyone-

We just got the results from our family's Celiac Screening. Our now-13mth
old son was diagnosed w/ CD at 7 mths through biopsy. I understand that 4
and up is a positive result for tTg, but several people have told me that
even that number is arbitrary. Here are our results: husband (1), self
(0.9), 7.5 yr daughter (3.2), 4 yr son (0.8).

My question is that given the facts that we already have one celiac child,
and that our daughter's score is SO much higher than the rest of ours
(3.2), is it worth pursuing additional testing/biopsy for her? Since her
score seems to be borderline I'm really wondering how to handle this
situation. She does get quite a few tummy aches and we have lots of
children's mylanta on hand, but other than that she's doing great. A few
months ago she got a few "chicken-pox" like bumps on her buttocks and
arms, but they have since gone away. I'm concerned that the doc will say
watch and wait, but in the meantime every tummy ache I'll be wondering if
she, too, has CD. What do ya'll think?

Also, is it very common to have both parents be negative, and then have 1
or more children w/ CD? Just curious :-)

Thanks for your wonderful input,
Richelle in UT