From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:54:08 -0400

I received email about Cracker Barrel and California Pizza Kitchen.  These
are personal experiences that folks had eating at these restaurants.

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore
**************

CRACKER BARREL
(1)"One of the last times I ate at Cracker Barrel, I had chest pains all
night long.  I had greens and pinto beans.  There must have been gluten in
them."

(2)"Regardless of what Cracker Barrel wrote you back (the typical CYA
response), I have successfully eaten at many of them."

(3)"This is different from the response I got in the spring, when I was
headed from NJ to South Carolina. At that time I was given a list, which is
probably in the listserv archives, but be wary. I wasn't too impressed with
the wait staff and found myself eating nervously....and had one reaction.
But since it was a 2 day drive and Cracker Barrels were all along the route,
I found myself eating there anyway."

(4)  "My husband and I really like eating there, though.  I am the celiac
and I usually get the veggie plate w/o any ill effects.  I get potatoes
without gravy, green beans, corn and turnip greens.  We often share a
breakfast - he eats the biscuits and gravy and potato casserole and I eat
the eggs, bacon and grits.  The "fried" apples do have gluten as can be
found by looking at the label of the ones they sell in the store.  Sometimes
I get a salad w/o croutons and a baked potato with butter.  I usually order
the peppercorn dressing, but I am not sure whether it is gf.  I eat it
anyway.  I wish that they sold it in the store, then I would be able to
check it out...and buy it for home if it were gf.  I really like it."

(5)  "[.] here's another place I'll have to badger because Cracker Barrel is
my mom's favorite restaurant.  She has been celiac and on the gluten free
diet for 16 years now and what she usually eats there is the chicken tenders
and either baked or mashed potatoes and carrots or another veggie."
(7/2003)

CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN
(1)"I recently went to a California Pizza Kitchen -- I sometimes have a
glass of wine and some cheese while my family has a meal.  CPK didn't even
have cheese for me to eat -- they said it was all grated!  I won't be going
back."

(2)"I eat at their restaurants all the time and find the servers very
cooperative and work with me. I have sandwiches without the bread, the
chicken in a balsamic vinegar sauce, I have grilled meats and different egg
dishes."

(3)"We went to Calif Pizza Kitchen in Cambridge, MA.  We had food for our 2
celiac sons but manager came over and asked what we'd need and then
accommodated us.  I was very skeptical b/c it was a PIZZA place and I
imagined flour everywhere but the manager assured me they cook all toppings
to order and separately from the pizza (at least in his kitchen).  I even
went to see and felt comfortable enough to order some chicken - plain sauted
in a little oil and some steamed veggies.  It was a good experience. We were
grateful to this kind and thoughtful man and have been back on several
occasions."  (8/2003)