From:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:14:26 -0400

Some weeks ago I asked for help in locating gluten friendly restaurants
in the greater LA and San Diego areas, specifically Santa Monica.
Several people asked me to summarize, so here goes. As you can see there
is a difference of opinion in some locations.

The list is pretty long, which is a good thing.

Outback Steak House (as expected) was a big hit.

In Santa Monica, specifically, Tony Roma's got it right.   They have a
list of their GF foods. 800/286-7662. Chili's get's it right, but opt
for the steak,  just ask for a plate of all steamed veggies for your
sides.  None of  The Cheesecake Factory's in LA have been able to get it
right for me, I have gone home ill every time.  Try to go to restaurants
in the Prominade when they are not so crowded.  They have great
difficulty managing our dietary needs when busy. Come to Orange County,
restaurants here are so very accommodating!  Even if it is just for
Maggiano's Italian Restaurant (it's right by South Coast Plaza!!)  The
executive chef, James Southfork is used to having pasta brought in and
he really know how to cater our needs.  It really is the best italian
meal you will ever eat out.   But make reservations or go early because
I have waited up to 2 hours for a seat, but it is well worth it!!

I live in WLA and can tell you you won't have ANY problems here.
Californians are all on some kind of diet and the restaurants don't bat
an eye when you ask them the ingredient questions and tell them about no
contact with wheat flour.

One of my favorite restaurants is China West in Irvine - half way
between Santa Monica and SD.  The owner is John Kao.  Just give him a
call to let him know when you will be there and tell him you want
gluten-free food.  Their address is 17585 Harvard Avenue, Irvine (cross
street is Main).

You might try Zibibbo's in Carlsbad/Encinitas.  They have a wonderful
Osso Buco dish and they do not automatically put croutons on the
salads.  The dressing is balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Mildly
expensive.  Kai's restaurant in Leucadia is good and they are
accommodating.  The chicken and rice soup is the best I have ever had.
They substituted warm tortillas instead of a roll.

Grand Californian Hotel, Storyteller's Cafe in Anaheim.  The chef that
we have had there is great. His name is Aaron Flores and his e-mail is
[log in to unmask]  I highly recommend this place as he is very
sensitive to our needs.

The restaurants [in Old Town, San Diego] are mostly Mexican  easy to
figure out what we could have. Hash House A Go Go [Old Town]
www.hashhouseagogo.com.

Several people spoke about  In-n-Out Burgers -- fast-food -- order the
"protein-style" burger, which comes wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.
The sauce is GF, as are fries.  EXCELLENT burgers. We also like Wahoo
Fish Tacos.

Chevy's (regional chain -- kid-friendly) -- they don't have a list of GF
items, but they "get it" when you call and ask. You need to check each
individual restaurant, though, because they each do things differently.
800/4-chevys

El Pollo Loco (regional chain -- kid-friendly -- fast food, but very
fresh and good) -- most of their items are GF. 949/399-2000

You'll find lots of Mexican restaurants -- the more authentic, the safer
(and better), since most Mexican food is GF (except, of course, flour
tortillas, and other obvious no-no's). You're usually safe with the
shredded chicken or beef in a corn tortilla, beans, Spanish rice. Beware
of the enchilada sauce, although usually it's safe too. The Spanish word
for "flour" is "harina" (don't pronounce the "h") -- the word for wheat
is "trigo." If you say "no harina" or "no trigo," they usually
understand what you mean.

Because of our proximity to the Pacific Ocean, you'll find great seafood
restaurants. Most restaurants here grill the seafood in a very light
sauce -- usually GF. You can always request that it be drizzled with
butter and grilled.

Albert's Restaurant @ San Diego Zoo
Seau's @ Mission Valley
Brigantine on Coronado Island
Boat House on Coronado island
Croce's in Gas Lamp District-Edgewater Brill (in Seaport Village area)
The Fishmarket ( " " " " )
Sally's ( " " " " )
Buster's ( " " " " ) and other locations
Royal Thai (Gaslight District)
Fred'son ( " " )
Greystone the Steakhouse (Gaslight District)
The Food Park (Horton Plaza)

Las Fajitas on 5th street near market  [in San Diego].  They are
WONDERFUL!  They use a wheat free soy sauce to flavor their fajitas. We
had the BEST fajitas I've had in a long time.  I can not say enough
about how easy they were to deal with, so understanding, and perfectly
willing to make multiple trips to the kitchen to make sure everything
came out right.  (I had a CSA card with me on GF/CF eating, and the
waiter read it over and said no problem.)  He even brought out one label
for us to read just to make sure it was going to be okay as he was a
tiny bit nervous about it.  (It was the soy sauce, which we had told him
is frequently a problem.)

The Mongolian Grill at Horton Plaza [in San Diego].  (I think the exact
name is Great Khan's but I could be wrong.)  There again, what WONDERFUL
people!

NO NO NO Tio Leos, in Mira Mesa.