Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
rick & christie schroeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 15:06:18 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my question about bruising easily and the possibility of a Vit. K deficiency. In summary, most said to check this out with your doctor, which is something I definitely plan on doing. Many people seem to have this same thing going on, but there is no "pat" answer. IF you don't have any problem with cuts and surgical incisions healing normally, and you don't bleed excessively when you get a wound, then you can look at what else might be going on. IF you do have the above problems, make sure you head for your doc quickly.
In summary, here are some of the suggestions I received:

Take Vitamin C
Eat foods rich in Vitamin K
Avoid tomatoes and potatoes (this works for one person)
Check into a syndrome known as Ehlers Danlos
Have liver function tests done

One person said that their dermatologist said that if you have had a lot of exposure to the sun throughout the years, your skin thins and you develop this problem. Also...... and here's the part I always hate to hear since it's so true in my middle-aged case.......as we age, our skin does get thinner and more prone to bruising easily.

Those who are currently taking a Vitamin K supplement said that they have to stay on it for life! Hmmmmm.......definitely needs supervision by a physician, according to one person's response, since Vitamin K thickens the blood and can create more of a risk for a stroke.

For all of you out there who share my mottled skin problem, let's vow to have it checked out by our personal physicians and make sure it's not anything serious. Then, if it's just another one of life's little fits, we can all wear long sleeve shirts and gloves. }:

Christie in TX