From:
Tammy Kochel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tammy Kochel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:16:51 -0700

Here is the letter that I receivd from Giant Food store today. I have seen a similar version last March, I am not sure if this includes any updates. Giant seemed to think some things may have changed since that time. Tammy

Thank you for taking the time to contact Giant. We appreciate your interest in knowing about gluten in Super G or Giant products. We can research any Super G or Giant items with which you may have a concern. We do not have a complete list, the products in this letter are products which have been recently checked. Please note that we anticipate supplier changes in the next year, so check back with us if these items are of continued interest. Always read the label - ingredients change. We cannot be held responsible for individual reactions to a product.

We have been told by our suppliers that these products are gluten free:

Dairy Department

Butter: salted, unsalted

Cheeses (packaged): Chunk, Shredded, Slices, Stick & Cubed Cheese: New

York Sharp, Wisconsin Sharp and Wisconsin white sharp, Sharp and mild

Cheddars;, Colby Longhorn, Harvarti, Jack, Pepper Jack, Mozzarella,

Muenster, Pasteurized Processed American and cheese food including Reduced

fat, Fat Free, Cottage Cheese, all types Cream cheese; all types Creams:

table, half & half Egg Nog Egg substitute Milk: all types including

chocolate, buttermilk and skim

deluxe Ricotta cheese: all types

Yogurt: plain

Deli and service deli department

Rotisserie chickens: oven roasted, Italian and Lemon Pepper

Tortilla Chips (paper bag) white, yellow, blue, unsalted and tricolor

Frozen Foods

Assorted pops

Citrus pops

Combo cremes ice cream bars (vanilla-chocolate coated)

Dreamy Tofu

Ice cream, including high includsion with candy bars, etc. all flavors

(except cookies and cream and chocolate chip cookie dough)

Ice cream cups, vanilla

No-sugar added fudge bars

Red, white and blue pops

Sherbet (all flavors)

Twin pops

Potatoes (unseasoned): regular, crinkle, shoestring, steak, hash browns, puffs (taters)

Vegetables: Broccoli in cheese sauce, Peas in butter sauce, Broccoli spears, green beans (cut, French, petite and whole) greens (turnip, collard, kale, mustard), carrots (baby and sliced) limas (baby and Fordhook) spinach (leaf and chopped) okra (whole and cut), diced peppers, chopped onions

Grocery Department

Applesauce

Barbecue Sauce (all flavors)

Beans, dry and canned including Pork & Beans and Vegetarian

Cheese, grated parmesan, fat free and Romano blend in jar or canister

Cherries, light sweet, dark and water pack Cherries, Maraschino

Chocolate syrup, can and squeeze bottle

Coconut, flaked sweetened

Coffee, whole bean, flavored

Cranberry juice cocktail: all flavors and 100% Cranberry sauce (whole & jellied)

Fruit Snacks

Grits,

Quick Hot Sauce

Jellies, preserves and fruit spreads

Juices: cranberry, tomato, vegetable

Kids fun pops

Lemon juice

Mushrooms: stems and pieces, button and no salt

Mustard, yellow, Dijon and brown

Nuts: honey roasted peanuts, party peanuts, mixed nuts, cashews, all dry roasted peanuts, cashews and mixed nuts

Oils: canola, corn, peanut, sunflower, vegetable Olives,ripe (black)

Pasta sauce: Tomato Basil, Roasted Garlic, Four Cheese

Peanut Butter: creamy and chunky

Pickle Relish, Sweet & Hot Dog Pickles, all types

Pie filling, cherry

Popcorn, Bagged butter flavored

Pork and beans, vegetarian beans

Pudding Snacks: Chocolate, Vanilla and Tapioca

Raisins, Seedless (packaged)

Rice, brown, white and instant

Salt: iodized and non-iodized

Shortening, vegetable

Soup: Chicken Broth

Sunflower seeds: dry roasted and unsalted

Syrup: cane & maple, lite pancake, pancake with butter

Tea: Regular and Decaffeinated

Tomatoes for cooking, diced tomatoes, crushed, stewed, no-salt added Tomato Juice Tomato paste Tomato sauce (regular and no-salt added)

Vegetables, canned: creamed corn white and gold corn, green beans, sliced beets, Irish potatoes, peas, wax beans, corn relish, pickled beets, whole beets, Harvard beets, carrots, lima beans, mixed vegetables, sauerkraut, succotash, red cabbage Vegetable juice

Worcestershire sauce

Meat

Italian sausage, mild and hot

Over the Counter Products

Extra Strength Pain Reliever gel tabs (acetominophen)

Glucose tabs

Please note the following caveats from some of our suppliers: Our salad dressing supplier said they could not 100% guarantee their vinegar sources, so if you have been told by your doctor to avoid distilled vinegars with a possible wheat base you should not use those items. The supplier for our Super G capers and green olives with pimento says the vinegar is distilled three times, but can be from a wheat source. This is also true for our salsa supplier. In a distilled vinegar there is not likely to be any gluten, but some physicians may still want you to avoid it. Our maraschino cherry supplier also said they cannot guarantee that the source for their flavorings won't change.

The following products have also been checked and contain gluten or could be contaminated with gluten: bagged cheddar cheese popcorn, bulk dried fruits, catsup and chili sauce, cheese puffs and baked cheese crunchies, coconut macaroons, corn chips (ribbon and BBQ flavored), corn flakes and crispy rice and bite size rice (chex) cereal, frozen fries (crispy, curly and seasoned), grated Parmesan cheese, grated fat free Parmesan and grated Romano blend, fudge bars, chocolate ice cream cups, Neopolitan ice cream brick, mayonnaise, potato chips (all flavors), salad dressing type mayonnaise, soups (vegetable with beef and beef broth), tortilla chips (all flavors) and vanilla extract. Also, vitamin A acetate, vitamin E acetate, beta- carotene and vitamin D have a starch carrier (soft gels and liquids do not use starch carriers).

If there are any other products for which you need more information please let us know.

Thanks, again, for contacting us. We appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Janet E. Tenney MS, RD

Manager of Nutrition Programs

Ref: 122222