From:
Kim Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:58:03 -0500

I have two kids and hubby with CD.  My husband has a brother with a 2 year old little boy who has been experiencing cycles of constipation/straining and green/yellow diahrrea for about a year.  He also has bloating and abdominal pain, along with crying spells and trouble with sleeping.  His father has unexplained Diabetes diagnosed last year.  They have no family history of Diabetes, and he is not overweight.  The family has a history of people having "stomach problems".  My sis-in-law had my nephew tested for CD through blood testing.  I don't know the values, but the doc said tests were "normal".  Since going GF for 2-3 weeks after the tests, though, my sis-in-law and the babysitter have noticed and "improvement" in symptoms.  His stools are not as frequent, less "colorful", though not quite normal.  He has not had his crying spells, and I think he is sleeping better.  This is a very difficult diet to follow, and my concern is that unless someone has "proof" of CD, it would be impossible to remain devoted to the diet, despite improvement.  There would always be the question of whether the diet is really "medically necessary".  My sis-in-law is unsure of what to do at this point.  We would really like some advice from everyone, and I will forward your responses to her.  I have told her about this list, and how helpful it is.
Kim in Texas