Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:51:18 -0700

Dear Listmates,
     Sorry this summary is late. Our Internet Service was not working for 2 weeks and I've had problems posting to the list so here I try again.

1. HEALTH FOOD STORES:  Down to Earth health food store was recommended. Their website is www.downtoearth.org . The store in Kahului is at 305 Dairy Rd. (808)877-2661. It is on a road that you will be on leaving the airport on the right side. They have Food For Life bread,frozen waffles,pasta,mixes and cereal. A good selection of gf things. The website lists all the stores on the islands. Hawaiian Moons Natural Foods at 2411 S.Kihei Rd. in Kihei, Maui (808)875-4356. This was recommended as having all the usual Gluten-Free stuff like bread,waffles,cereal,mixes etc...

2.GROCERY STORES: Most recommended Safeway as a good grocery store throughout the island. The website is www.safeway.com and they list all the stores on the island and you can print the application for the Safeway Club card. This helps with discounts on store items. You can even get a card when you check out.  Some said that I could obtain a gf list of Safeway brand items but I could not track it down in the archives. Often you can get rice crackers and rice noodles at Safeway. Another recommendation was the Paia Fish Market for fresh fish to cook yourself,but I don't know where on the island of Maui it was located.

3.LUAU: We went to the Luau at the Marriott Resort in Wailea and had a wonderful view of the Pacific sunset. The Number One recommendation is to call ahead and talk to the Chef about the food selection. Sometimes the Halua Pork has smoke flavor and some shoyu(soy sauce),so find out if the pig has this or not. The luau is buffet style food so you can pick and choose the dishes you want. Some liked Lomi salmon with poi,sweet potatoes,kalua pig,lau lau and squid luau. I had the pork,sweet potatoes,plain rice,and salads. I avoided stir fried vegs.(soy sauce) and the other meats as they did have soy or teriyaki. I did get a coconut custard that was thickened with corn starch. Remember Call the Chef to check the gf status of their foods.

4.RESTAURANTS: One of the great things about the island is that you can always get grilled fish,plain rice,fruits and vegetables made the way you want. Always check about the use of soy sauce or teriyaki. Outback Steakhouse is on the island. Check their website for their locations and bring the Outback gf menu. Restaurants recommended are Mama's Fish House (I don't have locations) and KIMO's in Lahaina. At the Lahaina Fish Market  restaurant many things are batter fried,but I had the best salad with grilled Ono fish. The waiter even said he would not give be the usual egg roll that comes with it as it is wheat. Next to the Maui Aquarium is a restaurant that look over the harbor and I had grilled salmon with steamed vegetables. the waiter verified items with the chef. Longhi's a very nice Italian restaurant with locations over the island was superb. It's expensive but the wait staff checked on everything and I had a trouble-free meal of Shrimp Venice and a seafood salad (no fake crab) with a side dish of vegetables.We ate at the one in Wailea. We also ate at Sala Thai in Kihei. Most dishes can be adapted without soy and usually use fish sauce and rice noodles. Others mentioned McDonald's and Burger King are on the island but we don't usually go there anyway.
OTHER TIPS:  We flew on ATA (American Trans Air) and I pre-ordered my meal as a fruit plate. I actually received it both ways and just gave my kids the crackers and cookies . I did bring a travel cooler with gf crackers and tuna in a foil pouch. I wasn't sure the flip top cans would pass security. I had no trouble with my carry-on food in security. We did a day trip on a catamaran with the Trilogy company in Lahaina. They provide lunch and supper. I did not call ahead so I packed gf sandwiches. The Captain later told me that The Trilogy could have accommodated my dietary needs if I had called ahead of time as they frequently have requests for special diets. So once again Call ahead and see what can happen,but always bring a back-up supply of food . We had a great time on this trip and having a condominium was great for breakfasts and lunches.We all fell in love with this beautiful place so everyone pack your bags and go to Maui !!!

Jane in Southern California