From:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:35:01 -0500

Hello,

Thanks to all who kindly provided information on my question about whether
they are concerned about becoming dependent on bulk-forming laxatives
(things like Citrucel, Metamucil, Benefiber). I'm still finding conflicting
information on the question of whether they cause dependence, even from
reputable websites, but most seem to agree that these are the most gentle of
the laxatives.  It appears that laxative dependence refers mostly to
laxatives other than the bulk-forming type.

One person suggested that I might have food allergies.  My doctor told me
that food allergies do not appear as GI symptoms in adults.  I am looking
into it, but since this appears to be fringe medicine, I’m not sure where to
get tested.  I have read that some labs are good and others are useless, but
all appear to be expensive.  I just don't want to spend $350 to have someone
swing a crystal over my blood sample :-)

Suggested alternative / additional sources of natural fiber: flax seeds
(ground and added to other foods), rice bran, psyllium husks, Aloe Vera
Juice (1 oz.) mixed with 1 oz. orange juice

Two RNs and a GI doctor (friend of a list member) take Metamucil daily.  One
RN said that he/she had heard of the dependence problem.  A few other people
indicated that they had read about this problem as well.

Several people take Citrucel, Metamucil or psyllium husks on advice of their
doctors to control hemorrhoids or diarrhea or for treatment of IBS,
ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease.  One person takes it to lower
cholesterol.

Some recommended switching from Citrucel (which has unnatural additives and
colorings) to something else.  Recommended making the switch slowly since
the other sources of fiber can cause gas and bloating.  A doctor told me
that Citrucel is more easily tolerated by many people since it is soluble
fiber and easier on the gut-- even easier than natural plant fiber-- and
does not cause gas.  I agree with this.  When I try to get 25-30 g a day of
natural plant fiber, I feel like I ate a can of scouring powder.

Three people wrote that they have the same problem, despite large amounts of
water, prunes, and rabbit food.

Two people said they think they are dependent on it, but if it makes them
feel better, they can live with that.

I called and wrote to Glaxo-Smith-Kline and was assured both times that all
Citrucel products (tablets, orange-flavored drink mix, etc.) are
gluten-free.  However, one person wrote the following, so please consider
this before using Citrucel:  “The company that manufactures this does not
make the flavor/color used in orange/orginal Citrucel and cannot guarantee
it to be g.f.  The new unflavored/clear variety has been deemed g.f. by the
company.  One of the members in our group started taking the orange only to
discover her DH reappeared...but disappeared when she switched to the clear.
  I'm not trying to be alarmist, but a case of 'buyer beware,' but if we can
learn from each other, we don't have to make all the mistakes ourselves.”

Thanks again,
Erin