Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:18:30 -0600

Hi,
The tortillas here have improved vastly...but because I did something
dumb this last time - let's just say - they could have come out a bit
better than they did.

First off I started the first time with an electric tortilla maker...a
bunch of flours and no patience.  Those tasted okay but weren't pretty
to look at.  My daughter didn't like the way they tasted...but I'll eat
nearly anything anymore. ;)

Some of the input I received mentioned that the problem with electric
tortilla makers sometimes is that they start cooking the tortilla before
it was entirely flattened and that didn't help matters any.

This last time I 'hand-rolled' them out and used the GFP French Bread &
Pizza mix suggested by all sorts of sources - *I* messed up though.
They came out a lot better than the previous ones - but I can tell
*next* time...when I hopefully *don't* mess it up - they will come out
even better.  Here is more on the subject at hand - the summary of all
the answers I received.  Thanks *very very much* for all of your help!
It is again - very much appreciated!  When I get this down I will have
to invite all 3000+ of you over to my house for some warm tortillas!
<BG>  I'll let you know how the next batch goes.

Thanks!
Robin (who has eaten more soft tortillas in the last 2 days than in the
last 6 months!) <g>
Minnesota - (more info below)

A lot of folks mentioned using GFP French Bread and Pizza mix, that it
worked the best for lots of things - tortillas included.

There was also mention of a recipe on www.glutenfreeda.com which also
used this GFP mix.  I was told that it is an online site that offers
"cooking classes" online and that recently that they are doing more
traveling for "live" cooking classes. They are also offering a vacation
get away where they are in Seattle WA.  The person who wrote this to me
has REALLY enjoyed all of their recipes that she has tried as well as
cooking tips so that she can convert her own recipes with better
success."

Another was praising the MadebyMona.com site for their recipe and also
said the 'Made By Mona' mix was wonderful for making them.

Some mentioned Bette Hagman's cookbooks - here is their comment:
Bette Hagman's cookbooks, in fact most gluten-free cookbooks that I have
seen, have chapters on the various flours, as well as ideas where you
can get them.  I recommend (if you don't have one or more of these
cookbooks) that you borrow some from the library.  You can read through
them to see which have the information you want and which have recipes
you may be interested in preparing.

Maybe Bette Hagman's Bread cookbook would be the best to try first, it's
more recent.

This is a good way to check out the books before investing in them.
**************************
Someone else said:
I buy only two types of flour, Sylvan Border's all purpose and add l tsp
of xantham gum to each cup of flour and the other flour I sometimes buy
is the Gluten Free Pantry country bread and pizza flour which can be
used in almost anything.  I know how frustrating this flour thing is as
I have bags of all kinds from when I was diagnosed and now just buy the
ones I mentioned. I try not to experiment with recipes that call for
more than 2 l/2 cups of flour but use my old cookbooks for most things
even though I have many GF ones. As long as I use the xantham gum with
the flour, I've had good success.
******************************
Someone mentioned a recipe in Ms. Roben's catalog last year.  Here is
that note:

Try this recipe.  It was in Ms Robens catalog last year, and it works
very
well.  I used a cheap $16 aluminum tortilla press, lined both sides with
wax
paper that I spray with Pam first.  I get them VERY thin, carefully peel
off
one side of the paper, drop gently into fry pan, also sprayed with Pam,
and
peel off the other paper.

Mine are only 6 inches, since that's the press I have, but they are
incredible!

Tortillas

1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot             1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch                       1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour                    1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum                 1 generous teaspoon baking
powder
1 1/2 teaspoons oil                         1/2 cup cold water, more as
needed

Place all dry ingredients in a tightly sealed container and shake mix
well.
Add oil and water to dry mix and blend well.  Set batter aside for 10
minutes, then divide and shape dough into 10 balls.  Cut two circles of
wax
or parchment paper slightly larger than your tortilla press.  Spray the
paper
with non-stick cooking spray. Flatten balls slightly before placing in a

tortilla press, between the sprayed sheets of paper.  Press as thin as
possible.  Gently remove paper from one side, flip into lightly sprayed
or
oiled fry pan or cast iron pan, peel paper off back.  Cook until lightly

brown.  To keep moist while finishing the remaining tortillas, cover
with
damp kitchen
towel.
Recipe from Ms. Robens catalog, with revisions by Monika.