From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 22:29:57 -0800

Listers,

I am trying to figure out why I have been suffering from a persistent
itch, mostly on the arms, legs and feet, for the last couple of days.
It's not DH-I have that, and this ain't it.

Of course the itch may not be Celiac related at all, but maybe it is
and maybe someone else will have some light to shed.

I developed a cold the other day and began taking Nature's Way
Echinacea Goldenseal capsules, 450 mg x 3 a couple of times a day for
the first two days. Haven't ever taken the combo before, tho I have
taken Echinacea alone a few times, with good results (seemed to kill
off an oncoming cold). I bought the Nature's Way on Monday because I
couldn't find the brand I have in NYC.

I called Nature's Way before I took any capsules. Customer Service
seemed to know precisely what 'gluten free' means; they assured me
the product qualifies. The contraindication comment on the bottle
says 'not recommended for....individuals with autoimmune conditions.'
I checked that out as well and found that they mean people with HIV
or Lupus. (this doesn't mean they know what they are talking about,
of course. I couldn't get a clear statement about why the
contraindication for autoimmune conditions.)

Yesterday I began itching all over so I stopped taking the stuff as
it is the only unaccustomed thing I have swallowed recently. Question
is: has anyone else suffered side effects from Echinacea and/or
Goldenseal? Could those tablets be the source of the itch problem?
It's been 24 hours since the last capsule, and my skin is no less
irritated than it was. No hives, no bumps, nothing I can see -- just
this infernal itch.

Any ideas?

thanks, Mary Brown