From:
Ronan O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ronan O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:06:19 -0000

cont..

I found in the beginning that I was having strange symptoms because I wasn't
getting enough salt. Also, celiacs often have something called "leaky gut".
The celiac has doneso much damage to the intestines that they leak and do
not
properly absorb the vitamins you need.  Taking a multi vitamin may not due
the
trick because your body may not be able to process it properly.  I get B
complex
vitamins in the form of a shot every week so the vitamins go directly into
the
bloodstream without needing my guts to process it.  some people use drops
that you take sublingually (put them under your tongue) so they're easier to
process.
Stick with the B12, I think it will help greatly.
PERHAPS TO MUCH B COMPLEX.I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH TO MUCH.
I think you are taking too much vitamin B, and your body is sending signals
that something is wrong.  My anxiety attacks ceased after I went gluten-free
but each person is very different.  If you are faithful about the
gluten-free diet
your body should be assimilating vitamins and food better to get a healthy
balance.
Something isn't in balance at the moment.  I hope you find the solution.
How much exercise do you get?  Walking for one hour each day does wonders.
I've been gluten and dairy free for six weeks now. Anyway,  you describe a
few
classic symptoms of calcium deficiency.  Anxiety and muscles cramps/aches.
Celiacs have a very hard time absorbing calcium. If you are deficient you
will want to
take 1500-2500mg/day. There is one which blows all the others away and
performs
miracles for me. It's called OsteoCal or OsteoFX (same thing). I felt pretty
rotten in
general after going gluten free/dairy free.  Only in the last week or two
have I really
started to feel better, but I still have some symptoms and some have also
gotten worse
(canker sores for me).
I have been GF for about 4 months.  I will tell you my first 2 weeks was
excuse me
but pure HELL! It got better after about 2 weeks, but not good until
after about 4 weeks. My biggest problems for doing the diet was belching gas
constantly expecially at night (mostly gone now), shooting pains in my chest
(gone now), achey all the time (lessened now), felt nauseated 90 persent of
the time
(still feel this way, but much less than before), and one perk to it all
has been I have lost 25 pounds without really trying - I still need to
loose about 20 more. I was overweight, and had combination constipation,
diareaha.
I was diagnosed gluten, casein, and yeast intolorant by Dr. Fine's test at
Enterolab in
Dallas after years of many different local doctors diagnosing IBS, stress,
fibromyalgia,
and even putting me on anti-depressant when I don't belive I was depressed.
I had to give up dairy also, which apparently a lot of people do, so that
may be
another thing to check into.
My symptoms took about 5 weeks-7 weeks to totally disappear. I found that
gluten kept
me in a state of hyperactivity- now about 4 months GF I am more relaxed than
my whole
life before.  I feel really good now.  Be optimistic!
The reactions that you are having seem to be similar to those that I have
when I
get tiny amounts of wheat.  I suspect it is anaphylaxis with me..
my chest is tight, my back cramps, my throat feels swollen, my neck gets
stiff,
and I feel like a skinned cat and completely irritable.  So, although you
are certain
that you are wheat free, I'd look for stuff you wouldn't suspect.
Toothpaste, coffee
(yes, indeed, if they roasted a flavored coffee in the roaster before hand
you have trace glutens),
tea bags and sometimes the tea in them (sweetened with barley), shampoo,
conditioner, lotion.
Shared or old appliances, wooden spoons, etc. can also be a gluten. One
woman told me
how she kept getting sick, and it was because of an old wooden spoon that
she had
used for pasta for years before diagnosis. Secondly, try some potassium and
magnesium supplements.
Many of us have a difficult time consuming soy or anything that has soy
products in it.
I react the same to soy as I do to gluten.  Many of the products that we
celiacs use
that are GF, have soy in them. You may want to check into that. The last
thing that I
did that helped was to start taking Probiotics and L-Glutamine and that
helped alot.
I started to take both because I suspected Leaky-gut syndrome.
This is a response I received from Entrolab. I was scared and had written
and ask
them about the withdrawal symptoms. "If someone told you they drank alcohol,
the
distillate of grain and yeast, every day since they were a baby, maybe even
two
or three or even four or five times a day. Then they wrote you the email you
wrote me after stopping the alcohol, what would you tell them or think?"
Try Elavil.  It will stabilize your mood, act as an analgesic, and help you
sleep.
It is not addictive.