From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:33:36 -0500

Oh, this is soooo good.  My kids (ages 18 and 20) absolutely love it.  It
came from Quick Cooking May/June 2000.  The name of the dessert was Lime
Chiffon Dessert, but my kids just call it "Green Stuff".  Here is the recipe
as modified by me to be gf.

1  bag Mi-Del Arrowroot cookies, crushed (texture of graham cracker crumbs)
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1  pkg. (3 oz.) lime jello
1  cup boiling water
11  oz. cream cheese, softened
1  cup sugar
1  tsp. vanilla
16  oz.  Cool Whip  (2 regular sized containers)

Combine cookie crumbs and margarine.  Set aside 2 Tblsp. and press the
remainder into a 9 x 13" pan [I like to use a Tupperware container, because
you can cover it nicely.]
Dissolve jello in boiling water; cool slightly.
Beat cream cheese and sugar in mixer.  Add vanilla; mix well.
Gradually add jello until combined.
Fold in Cool Whip.
Pour filling over crust; spoon crumbs over.

Chill at least 3 hours until set.

Kathy

*************
kids don't usually like green jello.......but green food coloring can turn
almost any dessert into a St. Patty's day treat.  I've already made
gluten-free brownies and tinted the canned icing green and frosted them.
I've also frosted cookies green and made rice crispie treats (if you have
the gluten free rice crispies, or you could use puffed rice) and tinted the
melted marshmallow green.  GOOD LUCK!

************

I'm not much help with special treats.  My 2 yr. old granddaughter loves
guacamole though.  Her favorite part is making it, but I don't serve that to
others.

1 smashed avocado
juice of 1/2 lime
salt
tomato, fresh or canned
chopped cilantro and green onion.

dip cucumbers or corn chips

I guess any sugar cookie can be dyed green and sprinkled with green sugar.

Karen in Ky.

**************

What about popcorn balls with green food coloring;  green jello jigglers or
even green jello cups with cool whip (layered); green ice cream (mint chip);
green apples; lime yogurt; green shakes (vanilla ice cream, milk, ice and
food coloring.

I will think of some more.

Denene, California

***************

I understand the veggie angle.  But does it have to be a baked good?  Could
you do something like fruit and then green M&M's for a treat?  I do not know
if they do just green for St. Patrick's day.  But, if not maybe dome other
candy in green wrappers.

The Irish flag is green white and orange.  You could arrange, kiwi,
marshmallows, and orange slices on a tray.  Check out
http://www.factmonster.com/spot/irishflag1.html to see the flag for the
right layout.

I hope you have a good party.

Francie
Austin, TX

*****************

What about coconut macaroons? With coloring they would be very green and the
only substitution I make is two tablespoons of rice flour instead of all
purpose.
deb

**************

How about lime, pineapple or lemon Jell-O in interesting molds.  Someone saw
a recipe on the box so that the Jell-O would turn out firmer so they could
eat it with their fingers.  Lemon and pineapple would require green
coloring.  Red Jell-O would turn brown with green coloring. Green to drinks
like white grape or apple juice.  Green GF cupcakes/cakes or GF frosted
cookies.  One could buy the cookies if you are not up to making them and
then add colored vanilla icing.

Carol

**************
my first thought is green food coloring in Duncan Hines frosting on small
cupcakes. if you have gf ones already for your son and just give the other
kids non gf. as long as they look the same with the icing all will be ok.

I saw a lot of activities and recipes on the Act II popcorn web site
http://www.actii.com/popcorner/recipes.jsp  for some ideas.

also green Jell-O jiggglers. either you or the kids can cut in shapes with
cookie cutters,maybe you could find a shamrock one?

another thing I have done was make marshmallow treats using fruity pebbles
instead of rice crispies and cutting w/cookie cutters. not exactly green but
still good.
please summarize if you get great ideas. I ,too have preschoolers and am
always looking for GF ideas.
thank
Pat