Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:14:46 -0600

Hi again!

I can't remember if I posted a summary regarding my Jarlsberg Cheese
question or not.

So thought since I'm yacking so much this morning I'd do it (perhaps
again if I already have) real quickly.

Thank you to all!
Happy Holidays!
Robin
Minnesota
USA
(please see all recieved responses below)

I *think* the Jarlsberg brand I think from Norway is OK.  However,  I
reacted to the Vitamin A they added, which is derived from corn (which
I'm allergic to).  Some woman told me that rennet can involve gluten,
although this is something I'm still wondering about.
************************
Blue cheese is definitely a no no,  I believe any cheese with veins of
color is produced by spraying the cheese with a wheat solution.
*****************************
Jarlsberg should be fine.  I don't worry about any real hard cheese.
*****************************
In general, real cheese is fine - except those using bread to create
veins of mold (ie: blue or saga cheese). Some shredded cheeses use wheat
starch in packaging (to keep it from sticking), and some seasoned
cheeses (those with 'garlic and herbs or spices" MAY have wheat in the
flavors - but not always.

Safe bets are good cheddars (Cracker Barrel and Cabot are g-f), a real
wedge of Parmesan.

Sargento brand shredded cheeses are g-f except for the imitation
mozzarella and the Taco blend with spices. Rondele and Boursin soft
cheeses are g-f as is Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese, regular.

I'm sorry I don't know personally if a good Jarlsburg is g-f - but I'd
bet it's fine. Imitation, "light" and processed cheeses are more
problematic and should be checked.
My (coeliac) wife's favourite cheese is Jarlesberg.  The real thing is
Norwegian and Karin (who is a Dane) has eaten it since childhood.  You
don't indicate where you live, so I will assume that you're in the
'States.  I would be surprised if what you are buying is imported from
Norway, so you'll still need make sure that what you buy as Jarlesberg
is also GF, as the real thing is.  (Also that it has not been
contaminated in some way).