From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 16:57:28 EST

When I posted my questions on GERD meds, some responses came back about
alternative medicine approaches. The warning that I got from them is
important for all of us.....Be careful not to fight the stomach acid so much
that you overdo it. We need stomach acid for digestion. If it gets too low,
you can become ill. This happened to my elderly mother-in-law, who took too
many TUMS and related meds, and got very sick.

I also noticed that Rolaids contains a hefty amount of calcium and magnesium
in each pill. I'm not a doctor, but it would seem that if you ingested the
maximum number of Rolaids in a 24 hour period, thinking it was safe
(according to the label), you'd have eaten too much calcium and magnesium way
before that. Just a thought.

Lin