Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:47:36 -0600

Hi,

My diagnosis with CD took the long route - like so many others.  First
with FMS, which also took the long route...then because of my persisting
severe anemia and colon cancer so prevalent on both sides of my family I
was sent in to get both a colonoscopy and endoscope.  Thought the
colonoscopy came out fine - the endoscope did not.  Thusly the diagnosis
of CD for me.  Many of the problems I'd been having panned out according
to my diagnosis and some have already gone away due to the gluten free
diet.

Since my daughters could also have this as a problem too, and have been
having some problems that has made their lives uncomfortable as well I
suggested that they go into the dr. and talk to them about their
problems and mention that their mother was diagnosed with CD.

My youngest daughter (21 years old in Feb.) had some mouth ulcers when
she went in complained about nausea and headaches quite often so on and
so forth, and between that and the fact that I have CD, the dr. went
ahead and did a blood test for it.  It came back positive.  She was also
found to be slightly anemic.

Her doctor (according to my daughter) told her that this didn't mean she
had Celiac Disease but only that she was sensitive to gluten.  That she
should start a gluten free diet because most people who have these
results end up having CD when they are older. There will be no other
tests done for her.  It was also suggested she see a dietitian and the
dr. is sending her information along with the test results.

With *me* it was the small bowel biopsy first...because 'that's' how
they found it in the first place when looking for a reason for my
anemia.  But then they had me in to do a few more blood tests...so on
and so forth.

I also know that *my daughter's* doctor told her that she read up on CD
before she came in...my guess is because she really didn't know much
about it until she found out my daughter was coming in for it.??

I guess I have been feeling that 'just the blood test' isn't really all
that needs to be done to do the diagnosis properly. And that if she is
gluten sensitive....would that mean that damage has been done then to
her small intestine?  Certainly if she goes gluten free it should repair
itself (if there is damage) but is this all that should be done?

Guess I'm just plain confused as to it showing up in her blood tests and
then the doctor saying that 'most people then get it when they are
older'.  So does she just have a gluten sensitivity and does not have
Celiac disease?

Thank so much for any and all information,
Robin
Minnesota