Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:00:56 -0600

I have eaten at the Outback and things went very nicely.  We do like to
eat out and used to eat at Applebees quite often.  Since I was diagnosed
with CD I haven't been going out much.

However, because I am doing the Thanksgiving Dinner here for everyone,
we went out to dinner last night.

I had a most unusual experience that reinforced the idea I had that not
many people really understand CD.

Instead of just getting a salad I asked the server if they had any sort
of gluten free menu, or suggestions.  (just thought I'd give that a
whirl once.)  She looked at me quite puzzled and said, "we have a paper
menu for take out."  (sigh)

And that was after explaining to her I couldn't eat gluten.  So I asked
her if I could talk with the manager when he had some time.   Later the
manager came on out, sat down at the table as I explained what I was
trying to find out.  He had absolutely no clue either.  But was
explaining to me that I could eat steak and french fries.   I asked if
they fried the french fries in the same oil as say, the breaded shrimp.
He said they did then went about trying to convince me that because the
temp is over 165 degees that it would kill any bacteria that would
possibly cause me problems. So on and so forth....

My husband went ahead and ordered his burger and fries...and in the
order was a big piece of breading from some shrimp that had gone before
his fries.  Kind of proving my point I think.

Anyway - I just ordered a salad anyway.  Still I would think that
managers of resturants would at least have heard of CD - but guess not
huh?
Happy Thanksgiving,
Robin
MN