From:
Cecilia McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cecilia McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 04:14:09 -0600

Thanks to all those who sent me wonderful ideas.  This list is great.  =
Celiac's all over the world helping Celiacs.  What a God Send.

Are the Egg Beaters, etc. not fake eggs? Why wouldn't they work? Good =
luck!
WP

(MY friend cannot use these either)

Since she wouldn't have to worry about serving it warm (gelatin wouldn't
help then), she could try it.  From Carol Fenster's  Special Diet
Solutions she says "Mix one evelope of unflavored gelatin in 1 cup of
boiling water.  Substitute 3 T for each egg in the recipe.  Refrigerate;
then microwave to liquify before use."  This could be animal or agar
based, if vegetarian.  If she tolerates soy, she could also use soft
silken tofu (Mori-Nu)  1/4 c per egg.  These are for baked  goods, but I
don't see why it wouldn't work with pie filling.

Verna, Richmond, VA

check out www.allrecipes.com....also www.eaglebrand has egg free pumpkin =
receipes

This is a variation on pumpkin pie that became a tradition in our family =
starting about 30 years ago. I make it crustless for my daughter, but if =
you have a favorite graham cracker crust substitute, throw some pumpkin =
pie spice in it and if you have them around, finely ground pecans. Place =
the crust in the bottom of a 9 or 10" springform pan.=20

Meantime, soften a quart of premium vanilla ice cream. Pour most of it =
over the crust and stick the whole thing in the freezer. After a few =
hours, add the mixture described below:

in large bowl combine:
1 large can pumpkin pie filling (NOT solid pack pumpkin)
2 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmet

Mix by hand until combined.

In large mixer bowl, whip one pint of whipping cream. Add a little of =
the whipped cream to the pumpkin mixture, then gently fold the =
"lightened" pumpkin mixture into the rest of the whipped cream. Pour it =
over the crust/ice cream and stick it back in the freezer.

DO NOT let thaw before serving. I usually take it out only a couple of =
minutes before serving. It's quite spectacular if you melt some dark =
chocolate and drizzle it over the top, or decorate with additional =
whipped cream, or both.

Very easy and very spectacular!
Enjoy and happy holidays
Marcy in MD