From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:21:11 EDT

I checked with both of these companies to check the gluten free (also corn,
soy, dairy and peanut free) status of the items.

Tropicana said that their straight orange juice pops should be free from all
these allergens, but they were not 100% sure because the equipment was shared
with other products, and they did not know what other products.

It was a different story with Dole.

The Dole representative that I spoke to was very clear in the company's
position on labeling.  She said that they were a part of the Nestle's company
and that Nestle's has a strict labeling policy that has been put in place
that says that all the common allergens will be listed on the label.
I told her that I was going to place the results of our conversation on this
list, so I wanted her to be very sure that the information she gave me would
be correct.  She left me on hold for a while, talked to others there to
verify the information she was giving me, and said that she was going to
follow up with a letter that should arrive in 7-10 days.  She was very
pleasant.  According to the company, the fruit pops are free from the above
allergens, (except that some out there still are made with corn syrup-the
ones I bought had sugar to replace the corn syrup). So eat up and enjoy.  By
the way the Dole whole fruit frozen pops are really creamy and delicious,
rather that icy.  I really like them.
I commended the company and Nestle's for taking a positive stance on food
labeling.  I think we should support their efforts and let them know how we
feel about it.

Carol in NJ