From:
Lisa Roessler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Roessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:07:36 -0500

Hi all,

For anyone who is curious about others' reactions to gluten, here is what I found:

21 people responded to my question.  People said they had reactions anywhere from 2 minutes to 5 hours after ingesting gluten.  However, most said they do have a reaction within minutes (anywhere from 2 - 20 min.) of ingesting gluten.  Several people noted that they will not make it out of a restaurant before having a reaction.

A couple of people advised that it probably shouldn't occur until the food has left the stomach which should take an hour or two, but they didn't doubt that many people have reactions sooner for some reason.  Someone suggested that this may be due to an allergic reaction to gluten or wheat in addition to the celiac disease.  Another suggested  possible lactose intolerance.

Two people mentioned taking homeopathic tablets called Veratrum Album, or Prilosec to help with the reaction.

By the way, the reason I posted the question was that my 2 yr. old had diarrhea after only about 3 bites of her dinner the other evening.  We are only GF for 4 months, so I just wanted to confirm that she was actually having a gluten reaction.  Thank you all for your help!!!