From:
Steven Savitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Savitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:47:16 -0400

Thanks for all the responses! No need to send any more replies. The
verdict as many
of you have indicated: Orzo is a rice-shaped WHEAT pasta. There is one
brand
found in health food stores that makes orzo out of lentils but I called
the
restaurant back tody (Josie's in NYC) and got confirmation that I was
lied to
when my waiter "guaranteed"  that orzo was from the rice family.
When the meal arrived it tasted too good so I tried not to have much.
I only ate about a tbsp full.
So far, only minor symptoms, so hopefully I'm in the clear.

The restaurant apologized sincerely and they will most likely comp me
on a meal. The manager's supposed to get back to me.

Steve

------------------

A few interesting responses were:

Well, its name in Italian means "barley."

---------

Orzo IS pasta -- shaped like rice. It is absolutely not in the rice
family.
It's hard to trust people who have good intentions but bad information
--
especially in restaurants.

------------

orzo
[OHR-zoh]
In Italian this means "barley," but it's actually a tiny, rice-shaped
PASTA,
slightly smaller than a PINE NUT. Orzo is ideal for soups and wonderful
when
served as a substitute for rice.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION

If you already ate it and are experiencing problems, I suggest you get
to a
health food store and get a homeopathic rememdy called Veratrum Album,
which
will help to get it out of your system. You can also eat some flax seeds
help push the gluten through.

Good luck and feel better.  In future, if it looks like pasta, tastes
like
pasta, and your enjoyed it, it probably is pasta.