Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:45:28 -0500

I had asked for responses about whether listmates have experienced any
benefit from taking l-glutamine. Seems from this and other posts, the
response is mostly favorable, but one or two say they think it has harmed
more than helped. This is a subject worth pursuing further, as I'm sure none
of us wants to take a supplement every day that could either cause harm or
have no effect.

Thanks so much to everyone. For now, I will continue to take my l-glut!

Barrie in GA

Summary of responses:

I have been taking 3000 mg.'s of L-glutamine for almost a year. That is the
dosage: l000 mg.'s three times a day before meals. Any other info is
incorrect.  After being practiaclly bed-ridden, I am now full of energy and
back to a full schedule, including running 4 miles at a time!! L-glutamine
is a naturally occuring amino acid which is or should be in a person's
body). My dr. says you can take l-glutamine the rest of your life and that
it takes at least a year to heal leaky gut. I take TwinLabs 500 mg.'s and it
is gf.

****************

I am a Celiac, whose abdominal symptoms fit the description of leaky gut
syndrome.  Lots of gas after meals, some abdominal pain, etc.  I began
taking one table of 500 mg of L-Glutamine at breakfast and lunch, and two
tablets at supper time about a year and a half ago.  After 5 months or so,
all of my symptoms disappeared and I would not discontinue taking
L-Glutamine for any reason. The brand I took most often was Twinlab. Because
it is less expensive, I am currently taking L-Glutamine put out by the NOW
Foods Company in Bloomingdale, Ill. This product says to take it between
meals, which I may begin doing.  I have had no adverse reactions to either
brand of L-Glutamine, and I have found it extremely beneficial and wouldn't
do without it.

*****************

I have the GNC glutamine - which states it is GF - but it upsets my stomach.

*****************

If you have concerns about the GF status of the L-Glutamine you are
using now, I suggest Freeda's L-Glutamine. It is certified GF.
http://www.glutenfreemall.com/cgi-bin/2/webc.cgi/~sadams/st_prod.html?
p_prod id6&sid=6m76wr0VSHQI0MN-36102146380.3d

****************

I have been taking L-Glutamine for about 10 years.  I started taking it
for brain fog/memory problems for chronic fatigue syndrome.  It helped
tremendously with this.  When I stopped taking it for a few days, I
would start to deteriorate.  When I began having obvious intestinal
problems, I increased the dosage to 2 grams 2x/day.  I currently use Jarrow
L-Glutamine which is pure, no other ingredients and comes in a powder
which you measure with a scoop into water.  It is almost tasteless.  I
was diagnosed with CD in the last year and am now familiar with gluten
reactions to hidden sources.  I have not experienced anything like this
from L-Glutamine or any other negative reaction.  I have many food
sensitivities and cannot tolerate a variety of supplements, but
L-Glutamine has never caused a problem.  My nutritionist said that the
brain fog/memory problem were probably cause by a leaky gut and that the
L-Glutamine probably helped the memory problem by helping to heal the
gut.

I have had a positive response with L-glutamine. I take Vitamin Shoppe, no
gluten no allergic ingreds. I have been taking it over a year and see a
definite difference. I felt so bad at first, and I have CD over 25 yrs, I
was taking (2) two, 500 mg capsules with each meal. I am not as allergic to
other foods as I used to be.