From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:13:58 -0500

The source of this summary was basically the following question:

>Can an unborn baby be affected
>by something during pregnancy that can cause the baby to be born with
>celiac disease? Can that trigger happen to the mother of the unborn
>baby and can it be emotional or psychological in nature, or must it
>be something that directly, physically, affects the baby?

unemotional replies:

First from Ron Hoggan:

>Three of the triggers that I consider most likely are:
>1. exposure to adenovirus 12
>2. exposure to similar viral infections
>3. exposure to bacterial agents containing amino acid structures that are
>similar to those found in grains.
>Any or all of the above could act as a trigger and any or all could occur in
>utero.
>
>I doubt that emotional stress could be much of a factor because quite a lot
>of evidence suggests that such stress interferes with immune responses
>rather than revving them up, and I suspect that the environmental trigger
>needs to incite a vigorous immune reaction.

The from Dr. Jack Maines:

>  I question the intra uterine gluten thesis. What about opioids as a
>factor?  The gut in utero is almost non-functioning  until the last
>two weeks when it produces meconium- a nasty, toxic substance - from
>cells shed from the lining of the gut and from bile.  Normally it is
>retained in the rectum, but occasionally dumped into the  amniotic
>fluid where it causes all kinds of mischief.  During delivery
>mostly.  On the other hand, casein and gluten opioids are absorbed
>into the maternal circulation and certainly affect the fetus.
>Michael Gershon's book,  The Second Brain, gives some idea of the
>complexity of the intestine in its interaction with the  nervous
>system.  Additionally, he is a Cornell Grad!  And must have been a
>candidate, at least, for  a Nobel.  He seems to be as oblivious as
>most of us to celiac, but I can forgive him for that.

And from David Walland in England:

>I'm not certain about the full in's and out's of this, but I would
>expect with a genetic disease to see a range from ultra sensitive
>(=triggered at or before birth) to asymptomatic and this does seem to
>fit with what is being reported by the ALSPAC/Children of the 90's study
>being carried on here [in Bristol, England] in the Uni [I assume
>this is short for university] (about 9000 children in the study).
>They've identified a level of around 1 : 100 as the underlying coeliac
>frequency but many of those kids have no symptoms whatsoever.
>
>On another issue - the autism/coeliac suggested link, Louise Chollerton
>from the SA Coeliac Soc has just pointed me towards work being done in
>Norway.  Now I have been poking around the Norwegian coeliac research
>area for some time without having found this work and am having problems
>finding it through several of the leading medical people, yet the actual
>reporting looks factual and the stats may be OK.  Obvious question is
>whether he's out of favour with the "in" group and right, or whether
>there are serious questions about the standards of his work.  Right now
>"you pays yer money and takes yer choice".  The link would suggest that
>treating all autistics with a long term GF diet would make a significant
>impact on many of them and that the percentage of CD is much higher
>among them - ie that CD may be one cause of some autism.
>
>Right now, I'm writing to the Head of the ALSPAC/Children of the 90's
>study (Prof Jean Golding - she's a friend and I've done considerable
>work for them, so I expect more than just a brush-off), to ask whether
>they are looking for this link.  Their stats are impeccable and they
>will almost certainly have the information to check this work, if they
>think it worth while.

Now, from sources who will not be named as the responses are quite personal: