From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:48:26 -0700

Dear Listmates:

Further to my previous post regarding Dr. Atkins bars & shakes (the shakes
that
are powder & need to be mixed with water, not the liquid ready-to-use), I
wrote
back to the company and asked again if they were absolutely certain the bars
listed were gluten free (after having read on this list that the gov't
regulations allow a company to state something is "pure" if the levels
fall below certain benchmarks).

  I also reiterated that I was out a lot of money after having purchased
a number of containers of the shake mix.  Here's the sequence of
correspondence that ensued:

Dear Helen Aqua:

I have verified that the bars I have listed are definitely gluten free. By
law,
our product labels meet all nutritional information requirements. Gluten
content
is not required. Please accept our apologies that you were unaware of this
when
you purchased the Shake Mix.

We regret to hear that you were not satisfied with your Atkins product.

If the product was purchased through a local vendor, our Company Policy
states that you must go through that establishment for a refund/store
credit for the returned item.

Please keep in mind for the future, you may place an order through our
Web site, the mail or by calling our Customer Service Department at 1-
800-6-ATKINS, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

At Atkins Nutritionals, we take pride in providing top quality products
and services to our consumers.  We value your time, and courtesy in
making us aware of the situation you have encountered.  Your efforts are
greatly appreciated and valued by our company.

We hope this information will be helpful to you. If you still need
further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again, or contact our
Customer Support Department by phone at 1-800-6-ATKINS, Monday -
Thursday 8 am to 7pm EST and Friday 8am to 6 pm EST.  If you are calling
from outside the U.S. and Canada, please reach us at 631.738.7370

Sincerely,
Marisa Purcell
Customer Support
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

1-800-6-ATKINS

MY REPLY:

Considering how many celiacs follow the Atkins diet, I would think that your
company would go beyond what is required by law and put this information on
packaging and on your website for humanitarian reasons!

As far as returning the product to the store, I do not keep my grocery store
sales receipts and I purchased the large number of the shake mix at the
beginning of August.  You will have to take my word that I purchased the
number
of containers I said I did - I have no reason at all to lie - and send me some
kind of credit voucher to purchase products that you do verify to be gluten
free.

Thank you,
Helen Aqua, Vancouver, BC Canada

ATKINS REPLY:

Dear Helen Aqua:

I have forwarded your labeling information to our Product Department.

Please send the UPC codes from the Shake Mix you have purchased to along
with the amount you have paid for each to:

Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

Att: Lara Pirone
2002 Orville Drive North
Suite A
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779-7661

We do not have coupons or credit vouchers. Please send the required
information back to us for a refund.

Sincerely,
Marisa Purcell
Customer Support