From:
Virgil and Susan Leise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:12:56 -0600

Hi all,

I am so slow doing this summery...but have just been dragging ...not
feeling too well.  I have more energy today...so will get this done.  I
had let myself almost get to the point of walking pneumonia...is why I
went to the dr in the first place...and found an premature ventricular
contraction.  I did more tests and went to a cardiologist for a second
opinion and more testing.  He did put me on a beta-blocker...took the
first one today!  It is sposed to make me tired for a couple weeks til
the body gets used to it...so best get this done today!! hahaha
Here are the responses I recieved:

Tenormin(brand name) atenolol(Wyeth-Ayerst, Novapharm, TEVA-generics)
Toprol XL (brand name) Lopressor and Lopressor HCT (brand);
metoprolol(Novapharm-generic) Timolide (Novapharm-generic)
Timolol(Novapharm-generic) Propranolol(Lederle-generic) These are gluten free.

Cardizem is gluten free.

Inderal is NOT gluten free.

Mylan's atenolol is GF  manufacturer Geneva (800-525-8747) ICI Pharma's
Tenomin brand also atenolol tests positive for Gliadin and thus is not GF

Metoprolol had 2 people say it is GF
Atenolol had 1 not GF and 2 that said GF

My thoughts are ...that you need to have the phamacy call the
manufacturer of the brand they dispense and make sure...seems there are
many brands out there.

I was lucky to discover a compounding  pharmacy...and talked with them
beforehand...about the gluten..and I had to wait on the perscription to
be filled and just had them mail it out...because they had to take extra
time to call and make sure of the GF status!  I ended up with a generic
Atenolol...not sure which brand...but trust the pharmacist!

Susan