From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:39:18 -0700

Thanks to all of you for your tips on rice papers (where to buy them and
how to use them).  Here's a summary of the main points I received:
Jill/Texas

1.  You can buy rice papers at any oriental market.  They come in a
round, hard, clear plastic container. Rice paper is dry and brittle and
will hold on the pantry shelf for a couple of years.  To use the papers,
merely soak them in water for 4 minutes before using.  Take them out of
the water, one at a time.  Lay one on a cutting board, then spray it
with GF nonstick spray or brush it with olive oil.  Fill it with
whatever filling you like best (seasoned meat, sauteed veggies, refried
beans and cheese, cheddar cheese and chopped broccoli, sweetened chopped
nuts, preserves...oh, the choice of fillings is endless!). Starting at
one end, roll the paper about half way, tuck in the sides, then continue
to roll. Place, seam-side down, on a baking sheet.  Brush outside of
rolls with oil or spray with GF nonstick spray, then bake. Rice papers
may be assembled up to 3 days ahead, covered, and refrigerated until you
are ready to bake them.  Once you bake them, serve them hot from the
oven. Once they cool to room temperature, they tend to get rubbery and
tough.

2.  the rice wrappers can be purchased in any good Vietnamese or Chinese
store.

3.  These are spring roll wrappers. Usually they are made of rice flour,
but I suppose they can be made from tapioca as well. I buy the ones made
from rice flour and here's is how I use them. You can make all kinds of
finger foods with these, including appetizers and desserts. First you
need to soften them in luke warm or room temp. water, one at a time
(they are very slippery and tough to handle so you don't want to put the
whole batch in the water at once or they will all stick together). Once
softened then you can work with them rolling whatever filling you like
in them like an egg roll or pig in the blanket. I make egg rolls which I
fry in oil or bake in the oven if you don't like to have such unhealthy
food. Be careful though, they stick together very easily so keep them
separated when you fry and if you bake, make sure the pan is greased.
Also you can eat them raw, soften them first as above and then roll with
filling and eat with a dipping sauce. These are traditional rice paper
rolls. You can also fill with dessert type fillings like bananas or
other fruit, etc. and then fry like above.

4.  You buy them a oriental stores, Get a large bowl with hot water,
place the rice paper in it and let it soak until it is soft, about a
minute or so. If you let it get too soft it'll tear. Then lift out of
the water and place on clean cup towel, dry carefully by placing another
towel on top. Then lay out on cutting board and put veggies or whatever
you are going to put in them, then wrap them up as you would an egg
roll. Enjoy! You will find some recipes for these in my cookbook...see
below... http://www.milliebarnes.com/

5.  Use 2 at a time because they are thin.  I take one and hold it under
running cool water until coated on both side, then lay it on a plate.
It will soften quickly.  You don't want it too wet or it will tear, so
you have to do a few and get a feel for it.  Lay another wet one on
top.  Put filling just off center, about 1 Tblsp.  Roll up and tuck
under.  I fry them in deep oil to make egg rolls.  For the filling, we
do not use bean sprouts (too gassy), but cooked thin rice noodles
instead.  Add in chopped chicken, onions, celery, slivered carrots, a
little ginger.  Mr. Spice has a ginger stir-fry sauce and peanut dipping
sauce that are good with this.  His garlic steak sauce is also very
good.

6.  Rice papers are wonderful :) Keep in mind that they will not taste
like egg rolls! I usually use them in a "spring roll capacity" and fill
them with cabbage, meats (or tofu) and other veggies and dip them. To
use the rice papers, soak individually in a bowl of warm water and then
when it is totally soft, remove and place on a board. Put the filling in
the middle and then fold each side in. The paper should stick to itself.