From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:31:07 -0700

I wrote:

 > OK, I can't figure out what's going on with my egg substitutes. Any
 > scramblers I order in any restaurant never give me any problems. So I can
 > evidently tolerate them. But then we've tried Egg Beaters, and something
 > else, both of which are supposed to be GF, and every time I get a medium
 > bad reaction from them. I've tried changing everything else that goes
 > with them, including the medium they're cooked in, but I just don't seem
 > to be able to eat them without problems. I can't find a list of GF and
 > dairy free substitutes. Anyone out there got any ideas? Anyhow, beats me,
 > if you'll pardon the pun. -vance

Several people wrote and suggested the obvious, which is I think I will do
(Duh): "Ask the restaurant what brand they use." Simple, eh?

The suggestion I like best was this one: "restuarants usually use REAL egg
whites, whereas the stuff you buy in a supermarket is anything but. There
are pasturized egg whites in pkgs in the refrig. section of some supermarkets"

I also liked this suggestion: "Are you egg allergic or just trying to
reduce cholesterol? Egg subs usually like Egg Beater have egg white, and
often milk products added & who know what else. Might be some sort of
stabelizer, preservative.... If it's just about the egg yolks, it's just
as cost effected to buy a really real eggs & toss the yolks in the
garbage can. Use two for every eggs desired.

Below are some of the other answers I got:

I always read the ingredients on the carton and I remember that Egg Beaters
are not gluten-free but Better Than Eggs are okay. Hope my memory is
accurate.

I did my monthly grocery shopping in our local natural foods store this
afternoon and I noticed that they carried an "organic" powdered-form egg
substitute. I apologize that I can't remember the name brand, but I would
suggest checking your local natural food stores. I have heard that Egg
Beaters as well as other egg substitutes sold on the large market have
other additives/preservatives - some of which make me sick, maybe they're
doing the same to you.

what about just using the whites of eggs? try using organic ones
first...just to make sure you are not reacting to what the chickens were
fed. My daughter used to get hives from Perdue products because of the
antibiotics that they consumed in their feed. A nutrionist at the Atkins
center in NY suggested that if you react to food, first try the organic
version...then you will know if you are allergic to the actual food OR what
was sprayed on it or fed to it. Good advice!

They're called egg replacers. See:
http://www.GFrecipes.com/eggrepl.txt

Have you checked the egg beaters for artificial food coloring?

You can lookat Abigail Neuman's site. She has a list of gluten free dairy
products. The url is: http://geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html