From:
P Blackman/ R Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:36:40 -0500

Hi All,

Sorry to be so long in summarizing but the replies kept trickling in.
Thank you all for your input.

I seem to have struck a nerve with this post.  When it comes to my
health, I question EVERYTHING,  and I want any scientist or
practitioner who offers answers to be able to back them up with data.

Many of you feel very strongly that Dr. Fine has helped you,  and some
vouched for him personally: "He is a very caring man as well as a caring
doctor and there aren't too many of them around now-a-days. We were all
sad he closed his practice but has really been able to find and help
many more people that were gluten sensitive since just having his
research lab. "

Others urged me to do a phone consultation (It's $99).

One said that she'd questioned him by email BEFORE testing her family.

There were also several replies from people who wanted me to know
that they or their family member had taken more than 4 weeks to
improve on a GF diet, and to take heart.

Finally, there were several replies from folks who carefully and
non-critically let me know that Dr. Fine's Stool testing for Tissue
transglutaminase is NOT acceptable to most members of the Celiac
Medical community.  The reason I couldn't find out how it compared to
the serum test is that no one has published a comparison. His results
have not been reproducible and his methods are not published.  While
he is considered to have done fine research in other areas, this
particular test is still very controversial and NOT considered
diagnostic.

I appreciate all your replies.  I am still left with the question -
Do I have celiac disease or am I just having problems digesting
starches -if I eventually eat wheat again without symptoms will it
silently poison me?  I guess there's no way to know yet and I have to
get comfortable with that.

Phoebe